Vinnie to back all artists @ Ken Cen-Monk Drum Competition

Josiah

Re: Vinnie to back all artists @ Ken Cen-Monk Drum Competit

Postby Josiah » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Ya, I was being a little extreme. He did play for the resurrected 2Pac, not a low profile gig by any means. But the point is, I highly doubt he would have the connections or skill level if it wasn't from being wealthy.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:19 am

Wealthy?

His dad was or is in the Army.

They weren't homeless, but they weren't on a first name basis with The Donald either.

They were very supportive of a gifted and talented child, and raised him to have some manners as well.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:55 am

Here it is.....tonight's the night.

I have my H2 Zoom ready and am excited to hear

Vinnie play with multiple artists of many genres.

From what I have learned, Vinnie doesn't ask for charts
and recordings in advance so he can prepare.

I assume he will be reading most of the night, except perhaps
when he plays with Herbie.

But again, when I see him live, and on Youtube, and on DVDs, and on boots,
he ALWAYS, ALWAYS knows the music and plays like he owns the form. Even
when he is given sheet music, he rarely looks at it. Amazing. Genius.
groober

Postby groober » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

What's up Jean ? Any news ?
Rod

Postby Rod » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 am

From Examiner.com September 25, 2012:

Sunday night the three finalists—Justin Brown (Richmond, CA), Colin Stranahan (Denver, CO) and Jamison Ross (Jacksonville, FL)—performed two songs each with the judges’ decision saved for the event’s end. What was their decision—that 24-year-old Ross would be the recipient of the Competition’s top prize of a $25, 000 scholarship and a recording contract with Concord Music. Brown was awarded the second place $15, 000 prize and Stranahan rounded out the top three with the $10, 000 prize.

Each of the gentlemen was different in his approach to the music, but they all delivered such incredible performances that by intermission and even well after the show had ended debates could be heard throughout the theater about how each man was talented enough to win. Judging by Ross’ gracious, yet incredibly surprised reaction to the announcement, it’s safe to assume that he felt the same way. How’s that for cut-throat competition? For his part, Ross wowed the judges with his laid back, down home groove that was similar in feeling to what Herlin Riley used to bring to Wynton Marsalis’ live performances. This year’s Competition judges included Terri Lyne Carrington, Brian Blade, Jimmy Cobb, Ben Riley and Carl Allen.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 am

"What's Up Jean" you ask? (OK, you asked for it)

Never thought I would say this about an event where Vinnie Colaiuta was the principal drummer.

Waste of Time ! ! ! !

3 great semi-finalists played 2 tunes each with great piano player, Geoff Keezer.
Then it turned political. Justin Brown played a very musical and tight arrangement
of Oleo with Keezer. Great stuff.

Now what happened next, during the almost 3.5 hours, it got ugly.

This is what happens when liberals get together. They had to recognize 'victims' of Jazz,
and the heroes who support and defend those 'victims'

They talked about Women in Jazz. Talked, talked, brought out Jane Ira Bloom, Ingrid Jenson,
and many vocalists, Patti Austin etc etc. Vinnie backed them up. Highlight was up tempo Lady Be Good.
Vinnie played one 4 bar solo.

Then more politics. Speeches from Sponsors---Each one.
Cadillac, Northrup Gruman, United Airlines..

Then, big lib herself, supposedly a drummer, but could not keep time, Tipper Gore, Al's wife.
Then, big tribute to first female Sec of State, Madeleine Albright. She was so lame, that she
was given mallets to plays cymbal swells with Chris Botti, and tymp rolls....Vinnie stood by to
help cymbals rolls.

Then big trib to Aretha Franklin...she brought her own drummer.

Then big jam at end. Peter Erskine played, Terry Lynn Carrington played, Blade played,
Ben Riley got up out of his wheel chair, with help, tried to play, Jimmy Cobb played,
....they all played 4 bars.....waste of my time.
Vinnie nowhere to be seen during all this.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:32 am

Haha sorry, that is pretty funny. Did you ask for your money back?

The GOP is takin it so hard this time around, it's almost painful to watch.

Riddim wrote:Wealthy? His dad was or is in the Army.
They weren't homeless, but they weren't on a first name basis with The Donald either.
They were very supportive of a gifted and talented child, and raised him to have some manners as well.

Yes. Wealthy. Very Wealthy. You would have to be in the "super rich" category to afford private lessons from Dennis Chambers for your 7 year old, let alone for years on end. Go call up any name drummer and ask how much a private lesson would be...

"Supportive" is very different from "being able to afford the absolute best in private instruction"

And without going too deep into it. If every kid had that level of "support" for their instrument, you might find that the specific individual standouts no longer are stand out so much on a level playing field....
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:38 am

Jajaj, sorry to hear that Jean. Did you record some of it?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

jean krupa wrote:Then more politics. Speeches from Sponsors---Each one.
Cadillac, Northrup Gruman, United Airlines..

That part right there alone, is probably where I would have got up and demanded my money back.

Gotta wonder what NG would have to say to a room full of musicians... "our new power train for the concept F26 fighter/attack plane packs more acceleration at the same weight as...."
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 am

Jajaj, sorry to hear that Jean. Did you record some of it?

Yes, I recorded all of what Vinnie played. Also, the Aretha tunes and finale.
I'm so unexcited about it, I have not made any effort to upload to computer to make
CD yet.

Return to “Drumming Chat”