Long Distance Drum Lessons...

Frank Sanchez

Long Distance Drum Lessons...

Postby Frank Sanchez » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:03 pm

A lady asked if I would consider teaching her son on a bi-monthly basis due to their location, which is about 45 minutes from us. Initially, I figured that I could do one massive lesson that equaled the time I would normally spend on a weekly basis. However, the thought of sitting there while a student tries to show that he understands the lesson for an extended period of time, might just discourage us both.

I figured that there might be a technological bridge that might help and wondered if there were any teachers here that had figured a way to make that work with their students. What is your pricing model? What do you use, ie. skype? How often are you connected to your students on a weekly basis given the ease of technology?

It's a new world of concepts to me, so anyone that can help with the curve, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Juan Expósito

Re: Long Distance Drum Lessons...

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 am

Anyone has taken a lesson via internet ?
(Sending videos to the teacher and receiving feedback or via skipe)
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am

I did. I had a few lessons via Skype with Stephane Chamberland, a great drummer from Quebec. I think it's a great way to get in touch with people living far from you. You have to be equipped though, and possibly, with good gear meaning a good webcam, very good internet connection and maybe some more things (good lights, pdf files, etc...). I also think this might be better suited for intermediate to advanced players since you won't be there to guide the pupil in his first moves, like how to place your hands, how to sit and so on.

I'd be curious to hear about other people's experience as well. Feel free to share.
timmy

Postby timmy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am

well , as far as i give lesson , i would drive 45 mn IF the money is good enought , i wouldnt teach via internet ,only if the kid were in austria and i in japan ...
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 pm

I would start first with negotiating additional payment for the commute. Or have him come to you?

It depends on his skill level as well. You could basically do two 1 hour lessons for a 2 hour slot twice a month, the lessons would be on vastly different areas of study.

How much are you charging? $40/hour, 2 hour lesson + 45 mins each way, is still 80 buck cash for 3.5 hours of time. Not really that bad.
smoggrocks

Postby smoggrocks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 am

i also think this is something better suited to more intermediate or advanced players--and agree with the technology caveats (net connection, etc).

it is confounding to get drumming fundamentals down in the best of circumstances, which to my mind takes place in person. it's very hard to replace that immediate feedback and physical contact necessary for understanding technique and all that jazz. my teachers were always very hands on--literally holding my hands or guiding my movements and correcting me or building challenges on the spot. i think it's difficult to replace that interaction.

i did one lesson where it was a back-and-forth thing where i sent a video of myself and teacher sent a video back with a critique. not a real-time thing. it was helpful, but i had a very specific question/goal and once that was resolved, i didn't feel motivated to do more. also, i had a bit more knowledge under my belt by then.

imho, one-on-one is where it's at. teachers teach you craft and so much more. i'd ask for more dough and take the drive out.
Preserve wildlife...throw a party.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 am

My teaching philosophy is that if you want to study with someone then you go to his teaching place and agree to his conditions; students have to be motivated enough. In 20 years of teaching I went maybe 2 times to students place and it was to help them assemble and tune new drumsets and I charged accordingly.

I had a long time student and over a period of 2 years I moved 2 times and he moved once. Me going further SW and him going much further NE. His commute became 45 min. but he was there every week.

And renarvert, you probably know that Stephane Chamberland went down to NY each month to study with Dom Famularo and Jim Chapin, an 8-hour drive.
A friend of mine also went down to Boston once a month for a 2-hour lesson with Gary Chaffee, a 11-hour commute.

And my ex-local teacher was distance learning with Chris Adams who took over Gary Chester's New Breed system; sending audio tapes back and forth.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:09 pm

+1

I commuted 4 hours a day for nearly 2 years to go to MI. Often sleeping in my practice lab because it wasn't worth it to try and go home. All the while paying a not so small price for the experience.

But on the other hand I got the impression from the OP that the student was fairly young, IE not old enough to drive kinda young.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:46 am

Well, my student was a teen coming with his dad who waited the hour in his car + the 2x45 min drive.

Parents have a predominant role in the development of their children’s skills, talents and interests in art or sports. Whether the kid will make it or not depends a lot on parents motivation, encouragement and dedication.

Look at hockey moms and dads, they wake up at 4:30AM every weekday of the season driving their kids to the arena for practice, help put on the equipment, encourage and drive them to school afterwards; plus tournaments on weekends in different places. Phew…! That’s a minimum for somebody to reach major league.

I’m kinda glad I have 2 girls. At one point they were both playing violin. I drove them back and forth to lessons, rehearsals and be in the audience at concerts. It’ hard to motivate young kids to practice violin, it takes years before you can produce a sound that doesn’t make you cringe. So I was learning violin with them; practicing with them on a cheap instrument I had bought.

Parent major sacrifice for their children exist in music. A colleague of mine has an extremely talented son on violin, winning all competitions. At one point he had to go to a major school to progress. So both parents left their careers here to go live in NY so that their son attends Juilliard. They paid his degree from their pockets, living simply and working insane hours to make month ends for 4 years. They are now back here their son is making a nice living playing in a well known touring string quartet.

Return to “Drumming Chat”