Dave Weckl clinic in Orange County this week

YamahaPlayer

Re: Dave Weckl clinic in Orange County this week

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:07 am

So apparently they allowed recorders, my buddy(and others) got the whole thing from the front row. Try and get it up soon for ya'll.
Brett Borba

Postby Brett Borba » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:So apparently they allowed recorders, my buddy(and others) got the whole thing from the front row. Try and get it up soon for ya'll.

I heard Dave ditched the Moeller for the "17-Bounce Technique".
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:22 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:So apparently they allowed recorders

Actually, no, they specifically told everyone to NOT record audio or video. Only photos were permitted. They just didn't enforce it, and your "buddy", and everyone else who recorded it, decided to ignore the store's, and Dave's, insistence that it not be recorded.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:32 am

Great clinic last night at Jim's. 220+ were in attendance and age ran all the way from maybe 8 to 60+. Dave's clinics are some of the best I've seen. I get bored with a clinic where the guy plays stuff that I have to practice ten years on my chops before I can start working on it (to quote Russ Miller "dig me diggin' me"). Dave taught stuff that I could work on NOW to be a better player and musician.

The questions were good, including the 17 stroke incident(you had to be there) and at the end we gave away Dave's 14" signature snare. A young girl drummer about 14 or so won it, that's awesome. Thanks to all who came out to support the event, and make sure you support your independent music retailer so that we can continue to do these things.

Special thanks to Darren, Jimmy, James, Sarah, and the whole crew at Jim's for running a textbook clinic.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 am

There is no way, under any circumstances, that Dave okayed audio or video recording.

(EDIT: for dissemination ....)
Last edited by Lucas Ives on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:02 am

drumnhands wrote:Thanks to all who came out to support the event, and make sure you support your independent music retailer so that we can continue to do these things.

Thank you for making that happen. Dave was great, and the whole event was run well. Please try to get more of these happening! I used to go to drum clinics all the time 20-30 years ago. Before YouTube, it was the only way to really see what these guys were doing up close.

To help fund these things, I suggest you guys charge a small admission (at least $5) for anyone over the age of 18. A small price to pay for the privilege of seeing and hearing great clinicians.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:00 pm

DSOP wrote:

Actually, no, they specifically told everyone to NOT record audio or video. Only photos were permitted. They just didn't enforce it, and your "buddy", and everyone else who recorded it, decided to ignore the store's, and Dave's, insistence that it not be recorded.

Well I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure. However it seems weird there would be recorder's sitting out in the open if they didn't want it. That's just... bizarre. "Don't record any of this! But you can put them right there...." By the way it can't possibly be "insisting" anything if you do nothing. That's a direct contradiction of what that word means.

*shrug* I'll leave it at that.

If someone believes so staunchly against bootleg recordings, I would think they don't ever look at any of the youtube clips or otherwise audio posted in mass on this site (and elsewhere) and wouldn't support forums and sites known specifically for bootlegs.... that the rest of us will enjoy!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:38 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:Well I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure. However it seems weird there would be recorder's sitting out in the open if they didn't want it. That's just... bizarre. "Don't record any of this! But you can put them right there...." By the way it can't possibly be "insisting" anything if you do nothing. That's a direct contradiction of what that word means.

I was there, so I can say for sure. I was surprised they didn't do anything either, but I guess it would have been awkward to walk right in front of Dave to scold someone in the audience.

The more people disregard the requests of these guys, and continue to show such disrespect for their wishes, the less we're going to see clinics like this happen. Pretty much everything Dave discussed and explained is contained in his commercially available DVDs.
nampo

Postby nampo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:46 pm

I was one who recorded the clinic. I never saw any of the posting here about no audio recording or heard anything at the clinic. I asked 2 different people if it was ok and they both said yea. A young man at the door for one. The other a middle-aged man that was handing out sticks who i think was a vendor or distributor of some kind. He had a young woman who I believe worked at Jim's standing right next to him with short hair who heard me ask and said nothing. I was sitting right next to the soundboard in the very front right seat and no one there said anything to me. The guy that introduced Dave saw it multiple times as he was right next to me too. I wasn't in the way of anyone and they could have easily asked me to stop recording without disrupting anyone. I even told Dave about it after(again cause I thought it was ok) when i was getting his autograph and he said there was a lot of good stuff I can get from it if i go over it.(although in hindsight that may have been taken as a big slap in the face if he requested it not be recorded. I'll look for contact info on his site and email him an apology and an explination). I'm new in this drumming scene and these boards and meant no disrespect to any of those involved, or Dave himself. I've never been to a clinic before, that's why I asked if I could record it because I didn't know for sure. I was just excited to learn from a great and I didn't want to forget anything he said. However, in light of the fact that I did ask and was given permission to record even tho I shouldn't have been, and the recording is already captured, I'm going to leave it up. It has been amazingly helpful and enlightening to me even in the short time since the clinic and I would love for other beginning drummers such as myself who may live afar to be able to enjoy and learn from such a great as well. The recording, and me talking more about it is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169

- Allen aka Nampo
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm gonna remove the recording topic for now.

Return to “Drumming Chat”