Dave Weckl clinic in Orange County this week

Steven Orkin

Re: Dave Weckl clinic in Orange County this week

Postby Steven Orkin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 pm

As some of you know, I have been working with Dave the past five years with respect to his marketing and general business. I spoke with him a few moments ago about this matter to get his side of it.

According to Dave, at his request, an announcement was made asking people NOT to record the clinic.

Dave did say that he saw Allen's recorder during the clinic, and that Allen told him he had recorded the clinic. He added that he did tell Allen that the recording may be useful to him. He did this to try to be fair and helpful.

However...

Dave specifically pointed out that Allen did NOT ask if he could mass distribute the clinic material in a forum, or anywhere else he may be thinking of doing so.

Allen has since sent an apology to Dave, saying that he meant no disrespect. Dave's response was that he really didn't want to get involved or TELL people what to do - but he would prefer that Allen did the right thing and take the recording down.

I personally hope Allen will cooperate.

Speaking for myself, and NOT Dave, we all know it is no secret that most artists want to control their creative product. No serious artist, either in music, painting, literature, journalism, or any other area, wants a complete stranger to copy, alter, distribute, or represent the thing or even the idea they created.

If you don’t know this, you have not created something you truly value.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Dave Weckl clinic in Orange County this week

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks for chiming in Steve, I removed the topic regarding the recording.

Return to “Drumming Chat”