Remo Reverse Dot name change?

bstocky

Remo Reverse Dot name change?

Postby bstocky » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm

I want a Reverse dot head for my snares. The one that been around forever with the dot under the head. Do I want this?

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8 ... rview.html

or this?

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8 ... oundx.html

I think the second one is a stronger version of the original? Anyone tried both?
Paul Marangoni

Re: Remo Reverse Dot name change?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 pm

I recently bought some Ambassador-X heads, but I haven't tried them yet. I have a funny feeling that I will still prefer the regular Ambassador.

As for the coated CS heads, I prefer the version with the clear dot underneath. It's a tiny bit thinner than the black dot, making the head more like a regular coated Ambassador, with a bit of beef. I think the 12-mil version of the coated CS would be too thick for my taste.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:23 pm

@Bstocky unless you're a real hard hitter, you should go for the original design (1st link)
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 am

"The Controlled Sound® X is constructed of a coated 12-mil film with a 5-mil reverse dot. "

With Remo now, any head with the designation 'X' after it, is identical to itself except it is a 12mil ply instead of a 10 mil ply.

Regular CS dots are your standard Ambassador 10mil drum head, the CS X is the same thing, but with a 12 mil Ambassador drum head.

The thicker 1 ply heads are pretty groovy, haven't tried with a dot though. That might be a bit overkill.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 am

I highly recommend trying the "X" heads. Ive used the Emperor X for years and recently tried the Ambassador X with a black dot underneath on a 12 year old maple solid shell. Outstanding in my opinion. I love it.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 am

I'll vouch for the Ambassador X's. I've been using them on my snare and toms and I think they sound great. Much more durable than regular Ambassadors and they provide enough of the wetness that you'd expect from an Emp.
Got Blushda?
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Ok, thanks.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I tend to be an evans guy but wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I've got the g plus coated 12 mil's on my redone gretsch kit and there's nothing not to like about a thicker single ply head. More rebound, louder, more durability and less weird overtones/harmonics. They are also easier to tune with a more clear pitch by each lug. I haven't tried the remo x series but i would give it a green light. :)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”