We are very lucky...

bclarkio

Re: We are very lucky...

Postby bclarkio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 am

We are so lucky
to have Willy Z
here at H.O.D.
keepin' it friendly

...and helping to make this a great place to hang.

This is a good thing to remember:

Da Chooch wrote:I had recently been through sessions of psyciatric counseling and the thing he emphasized was that I needed to continue playing the drums and making music as an outlet. he told me that studies have proven (through ct scans of the brain) that any creative endeavor but esp. making music stimulated BOTH sides of the brains. said it was basically a necessity for people of our artistic bent. take it for what it's worth but it helped me out ALOT.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 am

bclarkio wrote:We are so lucky
to have Willy Z
here at H.O.D.
keepin' it friendly

...and helping to make this a great place to hang.
]

Thanks mate- just doing my thing! Even better if I'm actually contributing to the vibe here.

Cheers!
Got Blushda?
smoggrocks

Postby smoggrocks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

i thought about this thread on the way back from the montreal drumfest. i was so incredibly inspired by the performances (carlock's in particular) and the HANG and realized how incredibly lucky i am to have functional limbs and a studio where i can practice.

i'm kind of a shitty drummer, but still have been asked to do this steady blues gig, and as of last week, a cover gig. never liked that idea, but this is soundgarden and zep covers, so i am good with that, esp. given that the singer is quite good. my 'big-deal' gig is once a year i play a 6-hour x-mas event in the freezing cold for inner-city kids as santa gives them their gifts. there is something infinitely rewarding about having a 3-year old child dancing to your music. pure innocence.

so, it ain't burnin' odd-time fusion, but it still brings me joy and makes me grateful.

coming back to work i felt protected from the rather unpleasant vibe that has come up at the office, and just a chain of unsavory life events that have transpired over the past year. i really felt that all of these things can be managed when there is music in the picture. even if i can't play, so long as i have music, i am whole.

a drumchum of mine was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and his wife is 4 mos. pregnant with their kid. he is too weak to play right now, so he has asked me to play for him to send healing vibes. i can't even begin to tell you how powerful that exchange was. go play for him next time you shed or perform if you can.

we're lucky to play and lucky to be dialed in well enough to understand that music is a potent force in and of itself.

\m/
Preserve wildlife...throw a party.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for posting- all the best to your friend and his wife!
Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”