The Intersphere (Moritz Mueller)

sejuba

Re: The Intersphere

Postby sejuba » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 pm

To me it sounds very generic. I rarely listen to drummers on their own because I always focus on the end product which is the song. I find this guy very good, but his recordings are, yes, flat sounding, songs are not what I enjoy listening too and even If I did, I'm pretty sure there's better music within this genre. Its cool to see him play beats, but it does him no good if he's not able to do his magic while making and playing music. So I disagree
he deserves more attention.

Maybe Chris could chime in, but it seems his drums have too much compression, making it sound dull and generic. That's another reason for loving Benny Greb... his drum sound is SO AMAZING...it has a lot of character
and dynamics. I imagine guys like Gavin Harrison use a lot of compression too but still you can tell it's him right away...there's definitely a trademark sound, wether you like it or not. THAT I admire in an artist.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 pm

¿?'¿? How could u make so many assumptions without having a single recording of this guy? Just because u watched a couple of youtube vids?
This guy is 26 and to me he´s one of the most interesting drummers of his generation... btw, most drummers don´t "use" compression. That´s the producer/engineer call (most of the times at least)...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am

I think this is houseofcritics.com.
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 am

'This guy is 26 and to me he´s one of the most interesting drummers of his generation...'

The age thing has nothing to do with it, and I strongly disagree with your second point, for example check out some of the other posts on the forum re Gergo Borlai he is only 30 I believe and is light years ahead in so many ways...as was Tony Williams, Michael Walden, Weckl, Vinnie etc etc
Sorry just get bored of mediocrity being blown up out of all proportion as is the current culture to do so. It's fine you love his playing, no problem, but let's keep it all in perspective.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 am

Julián Fernández wrote:¿?'¿? How could u make so many assumptions without having a single recording of this guy? Just because u watched a couple of youtube vids?
This guy is 26 and to me he´s one of the most interesting drummers of his generation... btw, most drummers don´t "use" compression. That´s the producer/engineer call (most of the times at least)...

I can only comment on what I see/hear. And I can do so because people created internet forums so you won't bore your girlfriend by talking about drumming all the time.
As I said, I think he's good, but his MUSIC doesn't move me in anyway. If he ever puts out something I enjoy, I'll probably be the first one to say how good it is.

As to the "use of compression" comment, you must understand that some drummers have creative control over their work. Those are usually the type of drummers I call artists.
Of course there are many other phenomenal ones who can't/won't have an opinion on their drum sound but I tend to admire the most the ones who do.

I find it quite childish trying to impose one's opinion based on music taste. I'm not saying you did that, but your comment sounds like an over simplified critique which leads to nowhereland.Instead, show me why he's one of the most interesting drummers of his generation to you and by doing so hopefully you'll be sharing something that I'll be able to start enjoying as well.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 am

percusski wrote:'The age thing has nothing to do with it

Yes. Couldn't agree more. Different people develop their skills/musicality at different times. It is quite impressive to hear/watch something that blows you away only to find how
young that person is but his age is not what makes you like him.
druid13

Postby druid13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 am

be fair I felt there WERE spots where he was able to do his stuff...but you have to listen to the entire track to hear those spots....somewhere around 2:30 or so he does a nice triplet fill that falls incontrast to what is going on but works...later on the instrumental break seems driven by what he is doing underneath with the bass drum....or at least if felt that way when I listened.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 am

Definitely not your typical rock schlock. Some really nice chord changes in spots and great drumming that propels the band with the occasional tricky fill. Two thumbs up for sure.
twenty3

Postby twenty3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 am

guys make sure to check out his solo on his myspace account!

http://www.myspace.com/moritzmuellerdrums

he is way more creative with his other stuff!
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

He actually still uses MySpace??? Weird.
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff

Return to “Drumming Chat”