Malleus Pedals

willyz

Re: Malleus Pedals

Postby willyz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Josiah wrote:You can get a DW heelless double pedal for almost half the price. They are proven road ready pedals with easily replaceable parts available almost anywhere in the world.

It is very obviously a MUCH better designed pedal as well. Where the hell is the bass drum hoop clamp on those anyway?! Not to mention any company that builds anything drum related and does not use the universal drum key screws are utter morons. Sorry, but that's just plain idiotic to use Hex Set Screws for EVERYTHING. Including the beater holder?!

Like bstocky said..... they look like prototypes with some serious design flaws besides the ones I've pointed out. Look at those pedals and look at these. There is a world of difference:

Between Tama, DW and Yamaha you have more then enough truly proven products that work fantastic. I have a set of DW5000AD's with over 1,000 gigs on them and have to date only broke 1 screw on the main pedal, and they get thrown around, mixed in with large hardware cases, dropped, stepped on (haha!) you get the idea...

I studied with Mike Packer while at LAMA, and he designed that pedal from modifying a 9000 series pedal to work better with his foot technique- it's all about rebound and motion, the same moller esq thing most folks go for with their hands.

Anyway, a lot of the LAMA folks adopted the technique and the pedals are great. I'll get one whenever my Tama Iron Cobra falls to shit. I've had that pedal for years with virtually no issues...
Got Blushda?
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm

I didn't ask for anyone's opinion, I was just sharing what I thought was cool. You guys took it upon yourselves to tear down what I thought was cool, without any respect. I can appreciate difference of opinion, but I guess I think the reaction is just a bit harsh here. I'm not about to debate anything here, your minds are made up.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Josiah wrote:I always figured the pedal was the "lightest" it could be when it was self balanced IE: If you pull back on a beater, it free swings for the maximum amount of time. Personal feel thing of course.

Speaking on fancy expensive pedals though, Gene Hoglan swears by his Camco's, and that guys got decent feet....

Yes, that's what mine do currently BUT if I take any more tension off the spring the beater will just flop around and come to a complete stop.
Most of the crazy fast guys play with the springs as tight as they will go, some even change to a heavier spring. I used to do that 20 years ago, lately I've been going in the opposite direction. Just experimenting.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 pm

deseipel wrote:u guys are unbelievably negative.

no wonder hardly anyone shares anything here.

I'm open to discussion, but you basically just insulted my post. I"m sorry you found it idiotic and stupid.

Here's what happened:
Those pedals look amazing, with immaculate machining. Packed with the hefty price, gear jealousy took hold and the negative comments ensued.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 pm

DeeP_FRieD wrote:Here's what happened:
Those pedals look amazing, with immaculate machining. Packed with the hefty price, gear jealousy took hold and the negative comments ensued.

You could be more wrong, but it'd be difficult.

deseipel wrote:I didn't ask for anyone's opinion, I was just sharing what I thought was cool. You guys took it upon yourselves to tear down what I thought was cool, without any respect.

Respect for what? The pedal? It's a inert object that is supposed to help us do our jobs better right?

You didn't overtly ask for peoples opinions - but you said you were "considering" the purchase and obviously were looking for input.

It just seems like your just a touch too emotionally involved in a discussion about the physical properties and design of a piece of metals functionality. *shrug* Never seen someone get so upset about a person opinion on a piece of prototype gear. I mean, they even say flat out that they are working on the design and ceased production on the current one....
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:15 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:
deseipel wrote:u guys are unbelievably negative.

no wonder hardly anyone shares anything here.

I'm open to discussion, but you basically just insulted my post. I"m sorry you found it idiotic and stupid.

Here's what happened:

Wrong. I see prototype bike parts from small companies with "immaculate" machining everyday. And even if they were the coolest pedals ever I would never get jealous about a piece of gear.

Anyway ... the OP should just buy them. Obviously he has his heart set on them.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 am

Try before you buy. Laying down a chunk of change on something that looks cool could be a disaster. They may have a totally weird feel. Some people like DW. I hate DW, and have always had problems playing them. I got rid of some 9000's that were horrid---for me. The Speed Cobras, Demon drives, Axis and even the old pre-Flying Dragon Yamaha double chain are great. I have not owned the Speed Cobras, but plan on getting them in the next 5 years, if they are still made.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moose

Postby moose » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Josiah wrote:I said the DESIGNERS of the pedal were morons for not using drum key screws for adjustments.

I'd be massively grateful if you would stop calling a good friend of mine a "moron", you complete fucking tool.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 pm

moose wrote:
Josiah wrote:I said the DESIGNERS of the pedal were morons for not using drum key screws for adjustments.

I'd be massively grateful if you would stop calling a good friend of mine a "moron", you complete fucking tool.

I feel like there's a lesson to be learned here:

It's not a good idea to call someone a moron, even though you don't know who they are, and they live thousands of miles away.

"Moron" is not the word that comes to mind when I look at those pedals, "Passion" is; I'm thinking it's the same kind of passion that drove DW from being a small start-up to the behemoth they are now.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 am

Even drum mags slam pedals that don't use drum key adjustments. So just get over it. It's a very... what's a more polite way to put it... Not Very Well Thought Out... design.

There really is no reason to not use drum key screws is there? What is the benefits of using small set screws over using an industry standard tool that everyone has and everything else uses?

moose wrote:I'd be massively grateful if you would stop calling a good friend of mine a "moron", you complete fucking tool.

Wow. Hypocrisy at it's finest. And your calling me a tool....

Look everyone agrees no pedal will make you better, faster, smoother, more groovy or in any other way play better right? They all function using the same basic concept with some minor differences. Enough players use "regular" pedals and blow all of us away.

Therefore, all you are paying for is looks. And if you want to pay double the price for something you don't even see when you are using it, the crowd never see's and sits on the floor that you stomp on 10,000 times.... By all means!

At what point has Function been lost over Form here? For a pedal that costs twice what the high end ones do, would not it make sense it does at least SOMETHING better?

Over the years pedals designs have got fancier, without much in additional function, and the prices have crept up (Nearly $1,000 for this one), but is anyone playing better as a result of this?
Last edited by Josiah on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”