Carlock and Weckl Duet

Steven Orkin

Carlock and Weckl Duet

Postby Steven Orkin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi everyone.

Here's a video from the 2012 Drum Fantasy Camp - one of many great moments. It featured Keith and Dave, along with Vinny Valentino (guitar), John Benitez (bass), and Josh Dion (keys/vocals). More to come!

Josiah

Re: Carlock and Weckl Duet

Postby Josiah » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Didn't take long for "The Fill" to make it's appearance. I want to like Keith, but damn dude... it's just silly repetitive at this point. It's been years now.

Looks like a fun time though, do the 'campers' get to play or how does it work?
Steven Orkin

Postby Steven Orkin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 pm

The campers play during the three Jam Nights. However, we call up instructors periodically to create some fun.

Keith was a fantastic teacher. I wanted him at the camp for his unique groove. He delivered in every way - and was a true gentleman.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 am

All I got to say about Keith is that he sounds like nobody else. Nothing but respect.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:09 am

Yussuf wrote:All I got to say about Keith is that he sounds like nobody else. Nothing but respect.

Yup. He's like the Gadd of this generation, atleast in my book...
Got Blushda?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Gadd played different stuff... I mean, from burning Samba's to Eric's slow jams and blues shuffles... I may hate Gadd's drum sound, but the dude is a chameleon.

I have much respect for Keith, I think he's a great player, he obviously has the chops, which is why I wonder why he keeps his playing so 1 dimensional. What he does is great, but it's really like that 1 groove/feel... never changes, and the same fill over and over and over and over and over... you're sitting next to Weckl, how can you not want to be creative?

It's more an esoteric question then anything else. Obviously he's banking on his thing, so why would he change it of course.
captainziltoid

Postby captainziltoid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Josiah wrote:Gadd played different stuff... I mean, from burning Samba's to Eric's slow jams and blues shuffles... I may hate Gadd's drum sound, but the dude is a chameleon.

I have much respect for Keith, I think he's a great player, he obviously has the chops, which is why I wonder why he keeps his playing so 1 dimensional. What he does is great, but it's really like that 1 groove/feel... never changes, and the same fill over and over and over and over and over... you're sitting next to Weckl, how can you not want to be creative?

It's more an esoteric question then anything else. Obviously he's banking on his thing, so why would he change it of course.

I tend to agree with this. I love his playing, but it get's a bit repetitive. All love.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 pm

willyz wrote:Yup. He's like the Gadd of this generation, atleast in my book...

Hmmm.....yeah.
Gonna go ahead and respectfully disagree.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:
willyz wrote:Yup. He's like the Gadd of this generation, atleast in my book...

Hmmm.....yeah.
Gonna go ahead and respectfully disagree.

Gadd of my time is....GADD, Keith is a mighty fine player but.....
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 pm

In the end Keith Carlock got asked and none of us did. Kudos to him for continuing to build his already impressive resume!

Return to “Drumming Chat”