HOD Website performance

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: HOD Website performance

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 am

Guys -

Thanks again for the feedback and the status updates. It would seem that performance fluctuates to say the least, as nothing has been done to the site since the topic started. Not because I haven't done anything, but it hasn't escalated to anything above a support ticket back-and-forth with the hosting service. Every time they try it works fine for them.

Paul, you mentioned some DB indexing? I don't know anything about that but am willing to learn.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 am

It may not be something you can do from your end, and it may not even be possible with your database. I know that I reindex many of the databases I work with a couple times a year, or when people complain about performance, and it seems to help. In your case, the performance could be related to other sites running on the same server which are hogging resources.

Here's some info on indexing. See if your host has anything to say about it.
Performing routine database maintenance such as reindexing is important for keeping your databases running at peak performance. When you use INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements to modify table data, indexes can become fragmented. Index fragmentation can happen when the logical sequence of pages is disrupted or when an index page contains less than its maximum amount of data, creating a gap in the data page or index. As indexes become fragmented, you get inefficient data reads when accessing tables and slower database performance.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:00 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Not because I haven't done anything, but it hasn't escalated to anything above a support ticket back-and-forth with the hosting service. Every time they try it works fine for them.

Me thinks they are doing something similar to what Paul is suggesting. Anyone who works with databases has my kudo's, that's a deep dark quagmire....

Site performance does seem to have picked up though.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 pm

I've twice received a max number of connections error (white server page) while navigating, but the userland number was low (as is usual). I thought maybe DoS or something, but that's unlikely as well.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 am

The site has been much faster my last three visits. Not that it matters ..

edit: because now it's slow again
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Seems to have improved a lot over the last couple of days.... I think.

Still, I think a donate button would be a great idea to help pay for costs to the site. Any left over funds could pay for an annual drum hang BBQ.

Return to “Drumming Chat”