New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

Richie Jarvis

New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

Postby Richie Jarvis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Well this year I found myself in a bit of a bind with sadly some water damaged drums, I was tired after a long week and just decided to load my gear in to the garage. Since I didn't need to return to the garage all weekend I hadn't notice in a quick downpour the drainage system failed and this meant 5" of water and drums sitting in wet drum bags for 2 days. Bass drum and 16" floor tom still sounded great and there was no signs of damage but the glue had softened so it was starting to lose it's rigidity. What makes this so much worse was an almost new Manu Katche snare drenched and still holding water, even though it's metal the nickel had started to turn a rainbow colour.

Insurance gave me a nice pay out but here is where I need a little advice....

The Birch Custom Absolute gear has been ordered and will be here in 5 months (yes you read that correctly) but I am also getting a Recording Custom in cherry red, this has me very excited as I have always wanted one since a tour I did years ago. The 8x8, 10x7.5 and 12x8 are in stock ready to go as well as a 22x18 (turbo) bass drum but the floor toms I want are a special order now and need to be made.... 14x12 and 16x14 mounted toms but they have a 16x16 and 14x14 in stock. The wait on the mounted floors is 5 months and if I wanted a 15" mounted it's even longer so with all of this said and already having the PHX and Birch Custom with traditional floor toms I wanted to go mounted for that 80's fusion fast and PHAT tom sound but 5 months is a fair stretch.

I have mounted floors on my Maple Custom and for me I do prefer the tone of a shorter floor tom but finding someone in Melbourne Australia with mounted floor toms in a recording custom is pretty difficult to try and do a comparison so before I order these new drums I am seeking the advice from some of you may have played both, have both and even have that now elusive 15" floor tom.

Thanks guys and I will see some of you in 2013 when I hit the states, apparently In and Out burger is where it's at.
Josiah

Re: New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

Postby Josiah » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Flood damage SUCKS!! That is sad, nothing can truly replace what is lost. Particularly when you have look at the ruined gear.

You'll be stoked on the new kits!

Yamaha was 6 months for my custom 7x8 tom for my Beech Custom's, so your definitely in the "normal" realm for ordering time. New kits are so awesome, but the wait does suck!

Lots of pictures and video yes!?

*In N Out IS where it's at!! Well, on the west coast anyway....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 pm

I used to have a very large Recording Custom set in Cherry Wood, and it had 14 x 12 and 16 x 14 mounted toms on a floor stand (also had 8 x 8, 10 x 10, 12 x 10 and 13 x 11 toms on two bass drums). I now prefer regular floor toms, but the mounted ones sounded great. It's just a different vibe. I think it makes more sense to have mounted toms for floors only if you're using smaller diameters (13 x 15 for eg). I would suggest you don't get a 16" tom to mount off a stand. The 14 and 16 that I had on the stand were both mounted with Gauger RIMS. The Yamha YESS mount would be really stressed trying to hold up a drum that big.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Josiah wrote:Flood damage SUCKS!! That is sad, nothing can truly replace what is lost. Particularly when you have look at the ruined gear.

You'll be stoked on the new kits!

Yamaha was 6 months for my custom 7x8 tom for my Beech Custom's, so your definitely in the "normal" realm for ordering time. New kits are so awesome, but the wait does suck!

Lots of pictures and video yes!?

*In N Out IS where it's at!! Well, on the west coast anyway....

Tell me about it, that kit and I did 5 years and about 1200 gigs and it's like loosing ya best friend.

I love getting new gear as you get the new kit smell all over again. Could get that RC today with the floor toms but I think I might as well wait for the mounted floors instead....

I waited 3 years for a 8x8 PHX tom that comes in next week..... Yes.... 3 years.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:I used to have a very large Recording Custom set in Cherry Wood, and it had 14 x 12 and 16 x 14 mounted toms on a floor stand (also had 8 x 8, 10 x 10, 12 x 10 and 13 x 11 toms on two bass drums). I now prefer regular floor toms, but the mounted ones sounded great. It's just a different vibe. I think it makes more sense to have mounted toms for floors only if you're using smaller diameters (13 x 15 for eg). I would suggest you don't get a 16" tom to mount off a stand. The 14 and 16 that I had on the stand were both mounted with Gauger RIMS. The Yamha YESS mount would be really stressed trying to hold up a drum that big.

The Maple Custom I have has mounted 14 and 16 and I have never had an issue, guess I am lucky.

Your kit sounds like a monster....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Richie Jarvis wrote:Your kit sounds like a monster....

I only used the whole thing for a couple years. Most of the time it was split up into two separate kits. I could never get either bass drum to sound decent though. I have a new Recording Custom kit with an 18" bass drum now. I think the newer stuff is pretty great.
johannhjorleifsson

Postby johannhjorleifsson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm sorry for your loss but happy for your new drums:-)
I just ordered a new Recording Custom kit last Monday. It was very difficult to decide the bass drum depth 22"x14" or 22"x16, and if I would go for floor toms on legs or hanging toms. Both bass drums and floor tom configurations sound great. After thinking this over and trying out both versions I decided on floor toms with legs and the old school 22"x14" bass drum.
I think the regular floor toms are so much more convenient to use, especially when you are using a smaller setup.
Regarding the bass drum size the old school 22"x14" drum had the best sound.

PS: Even Gadd now uses regular floor toms with legs and he invented the hanging thing...
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:27 pm

I get nervous with my 15" Birch Custom hanging tom sometimes. I'm not a heavy hitter but we all can get carried away. That being said, I have 2 floor toms with legs on my DW kit and sometimes, since they arent straight legs, I have to adjust to fit on the riser my one band carries. Most of the time I dig the convenience of having legs. If and when I find a larger tom to compliment my Yamahas(Im always looking) I hope I can find it with legs.

Good luck and fun with the new kit.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:22 am

I got flooded too last Autumn. Everything in the basement was damaged BUT my drums. My 2 kits were pilled in the only salvaged corner, ouf!

I also waited 8 monthsfor the Yam MC 15" tom of a kit. Like everybody back in the day, I was "dangerously" becoming a Weckl clone with 8"+10" on the kick and 13"+15" mounted as floors. I totally miss having 2 hanging toms as floors. There was something huge about flaming them hard together and getting them swinging, tons of projection and resonance. Whereas for a floor tom as it says, sound gets drained in the floor...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:58 pm

I can´t stand floor toms without legs...
Toms without legs, to me, are like this...

:D

Return to “Drumming Chat”