New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

jhall

Re: New kit with a 5 month wait for now non-standard sizes.

Postby jhall » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 pm

I bought one of the 40th Anniversary RC's in white.. it is a killer kit. I love the tom mounts being on the shells of the rack toms. They just sound 'right'. Interested in the results of this recording/shootout.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm

jhall wrote:I bought one of the 40th Anniversary RC's in white.. it is a killer kit. I love the tom mounts being on the shells of the rack toms. They just sound 'right'. Interested in the results of this recording/shootout.

I was looking at one of those but knowing me it would stay in cases and would never leave the house, the RC for me is a gigging kit and this one needs to be played on a regular basis.

Tom mounts on the toms not usung the YESS system.... NIIIIIICE!!!!!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm

i have some 25 year old RC's and they don't have the YESS system cause it wasn't invented yet. You like them without the YESS system? I would like to have the YESS system on mine. i tune them without being on the mount like you would normally do and then once you put them on the tom tom mount and tighten it up you loose the sustain. you then have to re-tune them one the mount to get some sustain back. sucks ass man. they sing with out being on the tom tom stand. just wish they stayed that way.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I had the original Yamaha Recording Custom drums back in the late 80s. I installed R.I.M.S. on them. It probably resulted in a 15% improvement in consistency and low frequency response. It also resulted in a 15% degradation in playability as far as response under the stick, as well as positioning. I prefer the Yamaha YESS mounting system by a long shot. I even use it on my Gretsch drums.
jhall

Postby jhall » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

As far as leaving them in cases.. no way! I play them out consistently. 99% of my gigs are through a fairly serious PA and the extra sustain provided by iso mounts would have to be damped to be agreeable. I don't miss the RIMS or YESS one bit. I love the rack toms being a little short sounding. The PA does the work.. I have other kits that benefit from iso mounts.. but these seem like I'm going to the 'well' when it comes to this sound. I love them!
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm

jhall wrote:As far as leaving them in cases.. no way! I play them out consistently. 99% of my gigs are through a fairly serious PA and the extra sustain provided by iso mounts would have to be damped to be agreeable. I don't miss the RIMS or YESS one bit. I love the rack toms being a little short sounding. The PA does the work.. I have other kits that benefit from iso mounts.. but these seem like I'm going to the 'well' when it comes to this sound. I love them!

I know, I feel bad that they are hidden away from the world but with the gigs I do in pubs, clubs and country gigs on the back of a truck I'm not really prepared to take the "nice" kits to a gig... especially the PHX.

I hear what you are saying about the YESS system but I admit I do prefer it especially on fast toms, they just need that little bit more sustain to them.

Promised myself to use the kits more often this year and I will.... promise :)
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:13 pm

The vids are coming, my PC had a meltdown...well the thermal paste caught fire and that was that.

Out looking at an iMac 27 today so I can get things finished....wish me luck.
jhall

Postby jhall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 am

Richie Jarvis wrote:The vids are coming, my PC had a meltdown...well the thermal paste caught fire and that was that.

Out looking at an iMac 27 today so I can get things finished....wish me luck.

Looking forward to it! I play my RC's out everywhere and they clean off pretty well.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks for the update Richie, looking fwd to this.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Thanks for the update Richie, looking fwd to this.

Well after a couple of set backs and of course one major one being my editing PC crapping out I wasn't prepared to build another PC just for video.....

So bought this, let the games and headaches begin.....has 16 gig of ram so should get the job done.

Return to “Drumming Chat”