Big Weckl announcement?

Steven Orkin

Re: Big Weckl announcement?

Postby Steven Orkin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 am

I understand completely why the campaign was extended, but it completely delegitimizes the whole process when you alter the contract's main differentiating point, which is that the money needs to be raised by a predetermined date, or the project is cancelled. I would prefer you just create a new campaign with new dates. At least that way it's all on the up and up. I love Dave, and want him to succeed, and I want this record to get made, but changing the deal willy-nilly is just wrong. It also makes PledgeMusic look like a sham.

The number of days is not a "main differentiating point."

The main differentiating point is that you are pledging money up-front for something that will be produced later, and that there are benefits to help encourage you to do so (cool things to pledge for, and status updates with sneak-peeks into the project). The timing aspect is meant to build urgency, the same way "limited time offer" and other marketing tactics are used.

Your suggestion that this makes it a "sham" tells me that you see the 30 days as some "test" of Dave's viability. To you, the whole thing was about whether or not Dave could beat the deadline. To you, he cheated you out of seeing this fail.

To the people who have pledged, he has been flexible enough to start production before he has the money, so that they can get the things they earnestly WANT.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Jim Richman wrote:Magically, 30 more days appeared.

PledgeMusic wrote:Do PledgeMusic projects expire?

You can select any number of days up to 90 to reach your goal but we recommend between 30 and 60. If you fail to reach your target in the time you selected your project will close and be removed from the project listings, although it will still be visible to fans who pledged. Pre-order campaigns require only a release date.

Can I edit a project after it’s been approved and launched?

You can edit everything except the project terms and disclaimers, which would be like trying to rewrite a signed contract.

I feel duped in a way.

Steven Orkin wrote:How classy of you, "Wikiman." Sentiments that would surely enhance your blog. #noselfesteem #nogrammys #noclass

Why are you attacking someone who is trying to express their opinion? It would appear that these individuals have grounds to state their opinion, in light of the pledge rules stated above.
Last edited by Avi_drums on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am

Steven Orkin wrote:
Your suggestion that this makes it a "sham" tells me that you see the 30 days as some "test" of Dave's viability. To you, the whole thing was about whether or not Dave could beat the deadline. To you, he cheated you out of seeing this fail.

To the people who have pledged, he has been flexible enough to start production before he has the money, so that they can get the things they earnestly WANT.

No, that's not what I meant at all. I pledged $100. I just feel like I've been lied to, that's all. I would have preferred if you just asked for donations or pre-orders. I don't like "marketing tactics" and I don't like being manipulated.
Steven Orkin

Postby Steven Orkin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

No, that's not what I meant at all. I pledged $100. I just feel like I've been lied to, that's all. I would have preferred if you just asked for donations or pre-orders. I don't like "marketing tactics" and I don't like being manipulated.

We'e not asking for donations or pre-orders. We're asking people to pledge now for something they will get later. If you really want what you pledged for, you'll actually get it now. If you no longer want the items that come with your pledge, you can cancel your pledge. No one is charged until the goal is hit.
Mark Petersson

Postby Mark Petersson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:24 am

Calm down everybody... please...

I don't think anyone of us wants to see Weckls project "fail"....

I understood that the complaints were more addressed to Pledge Music in general, weren't they? Because they don't stick to their own rules....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am

Mark Petersson wrote:Calm down everybody... please...

I don't think anyone of us wants to see Weckls project "fail"....

I understood that the complaints were more addressed to Pledge Music in general, weren't they? Because they don't stick to their own rules....

Exactly. I know it's not trivial to hold money in escrow, but I am sick of these sites like kickstarter etc. Just another business ripping off musicians. I wish Dave would have just asked for money on his own website.

Of course I'm not going to cancel my pledge. But it irks me that PledgeMusic is getting a cut.
Steven Orkin

Postby Steven Orkin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 am

Their rules state that an artist cannot change the timeframe. It does not say that Pledge Music will not change the timeframe.

Having dealt with the CEO directly, I can tell you that they are music advocates who want to see everyone succeed. It's good for artists, fans, and Pledge Music. No record company would bend an inch to be helpful. Pledge Music took this step to help the project be successful and Dave and Jay agreed.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 am

I gotta agree... Besides the fact of who´s doing the found raising, adding 30 more days right before is gonna end is not right.
This whole thread started as folks genuinely interested in what the whole announcement was about and then if the goal could be reached.
I understand why adding 30 more days could leave someone with a bitter taste on their mouth.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am

Whatever. I've said my piece. Time to get back to being a cheerleader and get this thing going. I'm looking forward to hearing the music and seeing the "making of" video. Should be very educational.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 am

Whatever the case is, how can anyone who donated be pissed about it? I would think everyone would be happy, as it has a chance to make it again.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”