Big Weckl announcement?

circh bustom

Re: Big Weckl announcement?

Postby circh bustom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:22 am

I'm not quite sure what Steve Orkin is really upset about. People pledged money within the given time frame, yet the goal wasn't reached within that time frame. Those who donated were (rightfully) perturbed that while they followed the guidelines, others did not. Reminds me a bit of what happens in kid's sports these days. Everyone gets a trophy. Well, no ya don't. If the project didn't generate enough cash right now, then so be it. While I am as excited as the next guy to hear new stuff from Dave, its been like 8 years. A few more months wont kill anyone. Also, I think it is healthy that we debate the music that Dave puts out. As one of the premier musicians in the world, and a leader in the world of drumming expression, we care about what he delivers. For a few reasons. One, personal enjoyment. I wanna hear something that pushes the envelope from one of the best in the world. Call me selfish. Two, certain music was used on the video trailer. Why is it not ok to assume that it is a taste of what is yet to come? It sounds very similar to what was done in the past 20 years ago. It sounds good, but dated. That is not what most of us here look for in our drumming or the music that comes with it. Three, why announce there will be an as-of-right now unnamed guest drummer if Dave wasnt hoping for a great amount of debate and speculation from the drumming community? Dave certainly doesn't live in a vaccuum. He must know the way we analyze everything to death. Is no one expected to guess? Speculate? Wish? Dream? I agree with Paul, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth as well. I would've felt he had more integrity had he just said "ok, this is gonna go on hold for right now". As for the amount of time he took from the pre-announcement to the real announcement, 10 -11 days in the internet world might as well be a generation. 20 years ago 10-11 days woulda been great. These days, either set a specific date for the info release, or three days MAX.
Sad part? I will most likely still purchase this at some point.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Steven Orkin wrote:Here's an idea: how about a little narrative on what you'd like to see from this project?

- Which drummer should Dave record with?
- What genres should they cover? Maybe a rock tune? With a singer? Some straight ahead Jazz?
- Which guest artists should be on there?
- What kind of sound should Dave go for? A hint: he's been messing with a totally open bass drum and some funny mic'ing to get a crazy FAT sound. A good idea?
- So, you don't like some of the things Dave/Jay have done? What, in your opinion, should they avoid doing this time?

Use the forum productively. You have a straight line to Dave and Jay. Tell me what you think and I'll absolutely let them know.

- Why just one drummer? Why not a bunch of the kiddies who grew up loving Weck? I nominate Steve Holmes, and I'm not just kissin' butt here. Trade fours with his legion. Maybe that should be the name of the song.

- No old jazz covers, not for Weck. I'd love to hear them re-arrange a modern pop tune. Maybe some Rihanna or something like that.

- Guest artist ... Chaka Khan? ;)

- Sound ... is he going for Bonham? When the Levee Breaks cover!

- They should do their best to get away from overly-processed sounds and samples. Period. Try to go for organic sounding as much as possible. Add guitarists. Gosh, I'd love to hear him with a bunch of good musicians just playing, no overdubs, not individual takes.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 am

I'd genuinely say - and this is not meant to be glib or facetious - don't use any keyboard sounds at all. Organ maybe, but mostly piano. That changes the whole aesthetic of the music and almost forces you to think in terms of music that breathes rather than music that is processed. I'm with Gaddabout, full band takes would be exciting. (You could even let us know which take it is, a la the 'Take 2 of 2' listing for each song off Warren Cucurollo's Thanks to Frank album).

I'd definitely love to see some guitar action on there too. Dave's stuff with Oz Noy feels so much more vital and alive than the fusion stuff.

I've drummed for a Grammy winner so please don't discount my opinion entirely, Steve. ;)
____
Ned
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 am

Beatles cover.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 am

thewikiman wrote:

I've drummed for a Grammy winner so please don't discount my opinion entirely, Steve. ;)

And who may that be?
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:32 am

And who may that be?

Don't. Care.

would like to hear some music in the vein of the Masterplan album. album has a great flow to it. the syncopated horn tune. the song here and there has a killer groove with an insane back beat. the snare is in your face in that song and love it. chicks duet drummer tune. jazz tune. i pretty much like all of daves solo cd's. the first is the best. heads up was fun also. dave's playing has changed a tad the past decade. i like both old and new dave. would love to hear stuff like the steve kahn public access album. that's some great wek playing. nineties fusion was fun. bring it back.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 am

Kurtis wrote:
And who may that be?

Don't. Care.

I wasn't saying that as some kind of teaser, it's just that Steve appears to think that the fact I've not a grammy myself is relevant in terms of my views on fusion.

Talking of which...

Kurtis wrote: nineties fusion was fun. bring it back.

Please do not do this! :o
____
Ned
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am

thewikiman wrote:
Kurtis wrote:
And who may that be?

Don't. Care.

I wasn't saying that as some kind of teaser, it's just that Steve appears to think that the fact I've not a grammy myself is relevant in terms of my views on fusion.

Talking of which...

Kurtis wrote: nineties fusion was fun. bring it back.

Please do not do this! :o

I am perplexed. If I played with Grammy winner, I would probably mention who it was. Am I missing something, or did someone discredit your opinion due to not owning a Grammy? Did Steve say anything about your opinion, or is it conjecture on your part?
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am

It was Estelle; that's not important. Steve (Orkin, not Holmes) suggested that I had no class, no grammies and, rather bafflingly, no self esteem.

I apologised for the lack of class in my remark, my self-esteem is fine, am doing my best on the grammy thing.
____
Ned
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 am

I'm sure about one thing, Vinnie will be not implicated in that project.

I agree about piano, Fender Rhodes, Organ, it sounds great and timeless, not the case with the keyboard.

Well done TheWikiman.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”