VC on the cover of next month MD.

thewikiman

Re: VC on the cover of next month MD.

Postby thewikiman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Speaking of advertising (which I despise competely), are there any ads, for ANY product, that can sway you to check out or even purchase something?

I think this is a really interesting question. Most advertising works by putting you in mind of a specific brand *next time* you're in need of a product - so no one ever rushed out and bought some Hellman's mayonnaise when they saw a tv ad for it or saw a pic on the bonnet of a NASCAR... But when they're in the shop and they need mayo, they often pick the brand they're most familiar with. But drums don't work like that at all, beyond kids playing Pearl because Pearl are everywhere.

I think endorsements are so important as to render actual ads completely superfluous. And they're often terrible - remember that one of Vinnie when he first moved to Gretsch? Surely that wasn't the catalyst for one single person EVER to go buy a Gretsch so why spend the money on a page of Modern Drummer?
____
Ned
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:25 pm

thewikiman wrote:because Pearl are everywhere

Funny, I've been thinking that way about DW.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:30 pm

DW's been everywhere for a while now. I suspect a lot of folks who aren't clear on what they think a good drum sound is just follow the crowd ( generally speaking ).

Their toms still sound like ass.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 am

Advertising works great on people who have'nt much experience.. For us.. We have played so much gear that we know what we like.. and for some it's part of our identity..

DW's advertising definitley works.. As does any comapny that sing s a ton of endorsers..

Taye drums went from obscurity to a name that people mentioned with all the other comapies in a few years.. Mostly because everybody and their dog was playing them..

I know for myself advertising didn't have much do do with things mostly because I grew up in a rural area.. Even if I wanted Yamaha, or Tama, I couldn't get them because of where I lived.. My first real kit was Pearl.. I still have it.. But I didn't get it because of Peter Criss or Greg Bissonette.. I got it because it was at the right price plus I could actually get it.. After I had the kit I started to noticed who played them..

My students on the other hand will buy a Pearl Export because Joey Jordinsons picture is on the bass drum.. Or When Lars had his White Kit they all wanted it..I'd say that kind of devotion runs right up until you graduate music college for some...

For others who are hobbyists the devotion remains for the most part.. Would someone who buys a 15 thousand dollar Neil Peart kit actually know how to play?.. Most would be enthusiastic Hobbyists..

A ton of drummers are playing Yamaha because of VC and DW....
Alot on this forum I bet..

When Vinnie Moved to Gretsch I would bet very few moved because of him.. Just like very few are going to switch to Paiste or Ludwig.. Because Zildjian and Yamaha are part of many people personality and identity..

Anybody here move to Meinl because Johnston switched?..;)
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:10 am

Steve Holmes wrote:DW's been everywhere for a while now. I suspect a lot of folks who aren't clear on what they think a good drum sound is just follow the crowd ( generally speaking ).

Their toms still sound like ass.

I agree. I had a great chat with a drummer once where I said exactly that pretty much, adding that I hate how whenever anyone gets some money the first thing they do is buy a DW even though the toms sound poor. Then there was a pause. Then I said 'so what do you play?' Then he said...

Well you can probably guess what he played.
____
Ned
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:13 am

chris perra wrote:
A ton of drummers are playing Yamaha because of VC and DW....
Alot on this forum I bet..

When Vinnie Moved to Gretsch I would bet very few moved because of him.. Just like very few are going to switch to Paiste or Ludwig.. Because Zildjian and Yamaha are part of many people's identities

Yep I agree - I started playing Yamaha / Zildjian Vinnie, Weckl and Erskine did but I still do because I love them.

But that's partly what I was trying to say - that's all endorsement related, not advert related...
____
Ned
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:42 am

The more I play, the more I believe that hardware is what makes the biggest difference. I´m using a cheapo Tama kit for casual gigging and people keep telling me how good they sound...
james

Postby james » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:40 pm

bclarkio wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:
bclarkio wrote:When I read Josiah's post last night, I thought to myself, "I hope DSOP doesn't rise to the bait; that post is so obviously provocative.

The kid obviously has some serious issues. This wouldn't be the first forum he's been banned from either.

I can't defend some of Josiah's actions, but I've grown to enjoy his presence here; he makes me laugh, and he definitely has lots of fire!

And, with the amount of spirited discussions we have around here, I don't think any of it should be taken too seriously.

agreed! i also enjoy josiah's posts.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Advertising works on people that don't know better. There really is no reason to be uninformed nowadays. You want new headphones? Do a search. I guarantee you there's a site that just reviews headphones. I guarantee there's a forum with a bunch of dudes geeking out about headphones. You want a lawnmower? Do a search. You want a flat screen tv? Do a search. Read. Ask questions. Even if you can't get your hands on the things you're interested in, someone else can/has. Ask questions. Don't believe the ads you see around you. They lie.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 am

If nothing else advertising works by informing that something exists. BAck before the internet all I had to rely on was a couple of magazines. The general attitude around you will sort of determine what the "best thing" is.

For those who haven't tried everything yet themselves DW has been one of those brands that are just considered to be at the top. Though, I feel that around here, that position has somewhat been taken over by Spaun, which I think sound great. I just personally, at this point, prefer the Gretsch character. It's all in those midrange frequencies that cut through so well. I can understannd why some people might not dig them, but in context with a band they're hard to beat IMO.

Return to “Drumming Chat”