VC on the cover of next month MD.

Rodge

Re: VC on the cover of next month MD.

Postby Rodge » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 am

Oh my God, it's awesome how DW's toms suck that much !!! :o

I saw Sting for the 2nd time in 4 month, to my ears Ludwig and Paiste can't compete with Gretsch/Yamaha and Zildjian, that bell on the ride, geez... :o
Each time I watch some new clips on youtube that ride drives me nut, not in a good way...

Anyway, da Boss in action, always good to see him.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:13 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:39 am

Rodge wrote:Oh my God, it's awesome how DW's toms suck that much !!! :o

I saw Sting for the 2nd time in 4 month, to my ears Ludwig and Paiste can't compete with Gretsch/Yamaha and Zildjian, that bell on the ride, geez... :o
Each time I watch some new clips on youtube that ride drives me nut, not in a good way...

Anyway, da Boss in action, always good to see him.

Yeah. They don't sound bad and I know several people who sound great on Ludwigs, I just miss that Gretsch character. I based my first kit on his, but I don't see following in this direction at all. My Catalinas sound cooler than this. Seriously.

The hats sounded pretty good in the mix, but apart from that I'm very unimpressed. I've checked out a lot of Paistes and well, I actually find them to be "a certain kind of cymbal." Quite uninteresting and they sort of annoy me. Consistent maybe, but...............................

Makes me think of Gordon Ramsay's "perfect" scrambled eggs. yuk!!

Now, about the signature drumsticks. I'm glad I have about 30 pairs on my shelf, but they won't last forever. Get a new sponsor Vinnie. I don't want to run out!
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Your honor I rest my case.

Good gawd.

HAHAHA I was laughing really hard when I read this... :lol:

I have very limited hands on experience on drum sounds and now I'm so used to hearing that type of tom "sound" I posted. Simply put, I feel I hear more attack than tone.
They sound like "plastic"... thats why I love HOD... it made me research a lot about stuff I personally want for my sound.

I LOVED THE KITS ABOVE:

PHX: http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?ma ... s_id=15300

PHX 2: http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?ma ... s_id=15299

TAMA: http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?ma ... s_id=13889

Ludwig (Vinnie set - I think): http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?ma ... s_id=15146
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 am

I'm sure somebody has said it, but sound is subjective. I mean, somebody must like the sound of DW's, the company does pretty well.

I view thier sound as kinda thuddy, short sustain, lower timbre and in some cases have a weird overtone to them. It always seems they choke out when tuned up higher. So I suppose these drums in a studio can do well, they sound kind of dead. This is not bad necessarily. It is was it is.

I personally don't like that sound, I like my drums lively and brighter. To me, the DW's blend into the music where you almost can't hear them....they don't stand out.

The youtube examples that were shown are a perfect of example why I dont like DW. The ash set in particular...to me, that IS the DW sound. The short stack toms are a little better, but have that weird overtone..not a clear note like I personally like to hear. DW lovers: Ive heard tons of DW sets on stage and on youtube - there are examples of some decent sounding toms. I don't know why, but I like that Tony Royster drum solo he did for percussion institute or something like that...but maybe I just like the performance rather than the drum sound. His toms sound really weird, but I liked that sound for what he was playing. I'm not sure if it's a real usable tone though. I guess you could argue that DW has "their own sound"...and give them a signature of sorts. It's just a sound I don't like in particular.
groober

Postby groober » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:39 am

DW Jazz series by the way don't suck. The have a completely different character. Great tubs, especially if you like that old musical sound. They are the only ones I've heard that have any projection too. Normally all thin shelled drums project like cardboard boxes ! (Maple, Keller, etc) In the studio is one thing, but out live where you need some tone coming out ... rrrrr m
Love to hear some Vinnie on his new rig in a sound check or similar.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Now, about the signature drumsticks. I'm glad I have about 30 pairs on my shelf, but they won't last forever. Get a new sponsor Vinnie. I don't want to run out!

Done. Vic Firth. Coming soon.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Now, about the signature drumsticks. I'm glad I have about 30 pairs on my shelf, but they won't last forever. Get a new sponsor Vinnie. I don't want to run out!

Done. Vic Firth. Coming soon.

Sounds good. I hope they're just the same. Maybe Vic made them for Zildjian in the first place?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Maybe Vic made them for Zildjian in the first place?

Yes. At some point Vic started making stick for Z.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 am

Yeah, Vic Firth does the Zildian's sticks since a while now.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”