So - Manu
Four and More - Tony
Now he sings... - Roy
Regatta - Stewart
Speak no evil - Elvin
BB´s Made in America - Jordan
Aretha Live at Filmore West - Purdie
Friends - Gadd

Ufff, soo hard to leave outside Katy Lied, Joe´s Garage, Secrets, Hourglass, Toto IV, Headhunters, Songs in the key..., so many wonderful music!
bclarkio

Re: Glen Sobel picks 10 essential drum albums

Postby bclarkio » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:28 am

Glen Sobel

Postby Glen Sobel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Yo from Vancouver, BC. Day off today on the Alice Cooper tour. I appreciate the link to this fun article.

It's so crazy hard to pick 10 favorites. Next to impossible, but the point of this particular list was to turn people on to some great recordings that were essential to mine and many other drummers development, but to leave out the predictable. Almost everyone that's been playing for some amount of time knows about classic recordings from Peart, Bonham, Rich, Krupa etc so I figured why not talk about other records that were just as important but perhaps a little bit out of the mainstream for most uninitiated rock fans.

Also, I centered a lot on the theme of when rock/metal/jazz come together. Hence referencing Mahavishnu, RTF as well as Macalpine and Meshuggah. So hard to narrow down to 10 but fun to talk about. I could do a top 100...!

And it was great to see everybody else's top 10. Many similarities, but also very diverse choices. As a drum educator it's important to pass this info along to students. Just as important as technique or chops.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Late to the party, but why not? Here are some, in no particular order:

Weather Report - Live in Tokyo (Eric Gravatt)

Miles Davis - Get Up With It (Al Foster)

Chick Corea - Three Quartets (Steve Gadd)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity (Billy Cobham)

King Crimson - Red (Bill Bruford)

Jack DeJohnette - Special Edition (Jack)

Dave Holland - Extensions (Marvin "Smitty" Smith)

Frank Zappa - Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar (Vinnie)

Trio of Doom - Trio of Doom (Tony)

Deep Purple - Made in Japan (Ian Paice)

Trying for a few different ones. I really should have some Elvin up there, too. OK, here goes:

John Coltrane - Transition (Elvin Jones)

Edited to fix the number of quartets in the Chick Corea title and to change S&BB to Red, just for variety. Generally picked albums I like that happen to have great drumming.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Glen Sobel wrote:Yo from Vancouver, BC. Day off today on the Alice Cooper tour. I appreciate the link to this fun article.

It's so crazy hard to pick 10 favorites. Next to impossible, but the point of this particular list was to turn people on to some great recordings that were essential to mine and many other drummers development, but to leave out the predictable. Almost everyone that's been playing for some amount of time knows about classic recordings from Peart, Bonham, Rich, Krupa etc so I figured why not talk about other records that were just as important but perhaps a little bit out of the mainstream for most uninitiated rock fans.

Also, I centered a lot on the theme of when rock/metal/jazz come together. Hence referencing Mahavishnu, RTF as well as Macalpine and Meshuggah. So hard to narrow down to 10 but fun to talk about. I could do a top 100...!

And it was great to see everybody else's top 10. Many similarities, but also very diverse choices. As a drum educator it's important to pass this info along to students. Just as important as technique or chops.

That was a great list. Couldn't agree more about Meshuggah...Tomas Haake looks like he is playing Back in Black when he is pulling off that stuff. Contrast that to (no offense) Neil Peart all concentrated and serious playing Tom Sawyer. I remember an old Jeff 'Tain' Watts Modern Drummer cover article where he listed a Meshuggah album among his favorites. He has that linear vocabulary, kind of a 'cyber latin Garibaldiish' groove at times:

Meshuggah - Glints Collide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBgwysouq5o#t=02m20s
Meshuggah - This Spiteful Snake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL6e6oiHIu4#t=03m15s
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:46 am

Avi_drums wrote:That was a great list. Couldn't agree more about Meshuggah...Tomas Haake looks like he is playing Back in Black when he is pulling off that stuff. Contrast that to (no offense) Neil Peart all concentrated and serious playing Tom Sawyer. I remember an old Jeff 'Tain' Watts Modern Drummer cover article where he listed a Meshuggah album among his favorites. He has that linear vocabulary, kind of a 'cyber latin Garibaldiish' groove at times:

Meshuggah - This Spiteful Snake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL6e6oiHIu4#t=03m15s

I am a geezer. I think I do OK with new music, for a geezer. I've tried to listen to Meshuggah on YT. Picked the wrong tracks, or just plain failed to understand what was going on. They did little for me. Again, I'm a geezer. This discussion, and Avi_drums' recapitulation of the discussion, pointed the way. Bought the "reloaded" version of "Destroy Erase Improve" yesterday. Holy F#ckin' Sh!t. And I do not say this lightly. Wow, this is unhinged, outrageous music. OMFG. Crushing my skull right now.

Thanks, Glen, and thanks Avi_drums. I didn't the albums to you linked to, but I think I have to now.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:46 am

Avi_drums wrote:That was a great list. Couldn't agree more about Meshuggah...Tomas Haake looks like he is playing Back in Black when he is pulling off that stuff. Contrast that to (no offense) Neil Peart all concentrated and serious playing Tom Sawyer. I remember an old Jeff 'Tain' Watts Modern Drummer cover article where he listed a Meshuggah album among his favorites. He has that linear vocabulary, kind of a 'cyber latin Garibaldiish' groove at times:

I am a geezer. I think I do OK with new music, for a geezer. I've tried to listen to Meshuggah on YT. Picked the wrong tracks, or just plain failed to understand what was going on. They did little for me. Again, I'm a geezer. This discussion, and Avi_drums' recapitulation of the discussion, pointed the way. Bought the "reloaded" version of "Destroy Erase Improve" yesterday. Holy F#ckin' Sh!t. And I do not say this lightly. Wow, this is unhinged, outrageous music. OMFG. Crushing my skull right now.

Thanks, Glen, and thanks Avi_drums. I didn't get the albums to you linked to, but I think I have to now.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Glen Sobel wrote:on the Alice Cooper tour.

Alice Cooper at The Warfield

Tuesday 27 November 2012

That's tonight, but I've got to work.

Just had a power outage here, seems appropriate.

On my way in, I was thinking it would be a great night for an Alice Cooper Concert.

I could feel the chill coming off the skating rink.

Later on, the clock tower will be lit in red for the holiday.

Full moon tonight, big storm should be arriving in the morning.

There's a strip club right next door to the theater!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Rodge wrote:Hu guys,

I went to see this by our man Glen, as he's more Rock oriented (I think) I can see why there is some drummers that I would never think about it while picking 10 essential albums.

Anyway, here his pick : http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/gl ... s-561657/1

What would be your 10 essential drums albums ?

Here my pick :

- "Secrets" Allan Hodsworth with Vinnie Colaiuta
- "Black Codes (From The Underground)" Wynton Marsalis with Jeff "Tain" Watts
- "Regatta de Blanc" The Police with Stewart Copeland
- "Bring On The Night Live" Sting with Omar Hakim
- "Hydra" Toto with Jeff Porcaro
- "Give A Monkey A Brain And He'll Swear He's The Center Of The Universe" Fishbone with Phillip D. "Fish" Fisher
- "Nefertiti" Miles Davis with Tony Williams
- "Night Dreamer" Wayne Shorter with Elvin Jones
- "Off The Wall" Michael Jackson John "JR" Robinson
- "Blue Matter" John Scofield with Dennis Chambers

- "Heavy Weather" Weather Report with Alex Acuna

Of course I'm thinking to more influencial drummers like the GREAT Billy Cobham (covered by DC), Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Jo Jones, Philly Joe Jones, Terry Bozzio, and so on...

Rodge, you and I shoulda grown up in the same neighborhood, because we could've saved some money on tapes/CDs! Although, I still think of Off the Wall is a guilty pleasure, even if I consider it an essential play-along album for ... everyone.

Some others that would make my list:

- Love Supreme, Coltrane, Elvin
- Live at the Village Vanguard, Coltrane, Elvin
- Jeff Beal, Three Graces, VInnie/Weckl
- The first 3 Patitucci albums
- Live and in Living Colour, TOP, Garibaldi
- Gomez, Eddie Gomez, Gadd
- James Newton Howard & Friends, Porcaro
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:53 am

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”