TONY ROYSTER JR - MONTREAL DRUM FEST 2012

littlegrooves

Re: TONY ROYSTER JR - MONTREAL DRUM FEST 2012

Postby littlegrooves » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:09 pm

I grabbed a set of V-Drums some years ago as I wanted the ability to shed whenever my schedule dictated, and not when the neighbor's sleep schedule's dictated. Therefore, to that end, they are great.

In terms of replicating kits (let alone having a decent feel, i.e. *sucks*), I've never been pleased.

However, these things are a blast when you take advantage of all the other sounds that they have available. I've ended up spending hours on off-the-wall grooves that I never would have thought of if I didn't have access to this sound-bank. That's when these drums really shine.

That being said, spending $$$ to play wacky grooves is a stretch. I got it as a late night practice tool and it turned into a very fun (and motivating) percussion toy.

On another note, I played strictly on the V-Drums for a couple weeks when my acoustic set was torn down-- talk about messing up your touch and feel when you play a real set. It took me a few solid days to re-adjust to the fact that my drums felt like big-ass pillows compared to the V-Drums.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Angelillo

Postby Angelillo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey guys,

I'm an acoustic drumset drummer too. And I prefer acoustic to electronic.

But, you're not getting the point. You disapoint me !

I have a new V-Drum kit in my kitchen. As I can't play an acoustic kit in my apartment, the V-Drums with good headphones
is an excellent solution. And even though these drums have hundreds of sounds, I set mine to the closest sound of an acoustic kit to practice.

Now, this is why these kits are selling so much. Being able to practice without disturbing the neighbors !

Tony Royster plays acoustic kits on his gigs. But, at the Montreal Drum Fest (video) he was working for Roland and demonstrating
the fun you can have with an electronic drum. Nothing more. Of course, he's playing well here. He's good.

If I'm wrong here, just delete the whole thread ! :D
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Angelillo, you're not wrong, we just don't agree :)

Why use a big ass stage and P.A. system to show off a lame sounding, hugely expensive toy when you can
mic any decent mid-range priced wooden kit to sound SO much better? That's our point (at least it's my point)

If only it had been Simmons or other 80's sounding electronic drums. They are at least honest to "what they want to do".
Roland keeps going on with the "they sound almost like real drums" sales points. No they dont. They sound horrible.
And they mess up your technique! :evil:

It's like a video of someone showcasing Zil bells. Sure, they exist in the world, but I don't find those appealling either.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:And they mess up your technique! :evil:

They really can. I admire Roland for their advancements with electronic drums, but like we've said before, they sound and work best when doing anything BUT trying to mimic/duplicate real drums. They are their own instrument. If someone digs it, and wants to dive in, that's totally cool. But go for something way beyond drums, otherwise, what's the point? They really don't aid in developing technique for acoustic drums. It's a very different instrument and uses different muscles differently. And I don't think you can compare the piano vs synth relationship to this either, because for the most part, when playing a synth, a pianist is not going to play an acoustic piano sample, but rather, a sound that may not even exist in nature.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Angelillo, your opinion and contributions are just as important as anyone else's. That's the problem with interpreting people on a forum.
As for Tony, I like some things he has done but I definitely think e-drums detract from one's playing. I was watching a DVD of Neil playing 'The Trees' on an electric kit and I had to turn it off. Things just didn't sound the same, to the point of not working for the song, IMHO.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm

and they look stupid. Watch Exit Stage Left when Neil stands up and plays real wood blocks and bells, it's awesome! Then watch him play the pads. It's so lame. Even if they sound exactly like acoustic drums there's a visual excitement to watching a human play an acoustic kit. The smartest, most creative guys like Mastellotto and Verderosa are still lame playing e-anything on stage. I have a King Crimson dvd, one tour Pat plays a monster electric kit and the other is acoustic. The etour is SO bad! I can't even watch it.
I've owned the last four generations of Yamaha kits. They're all bad. Still noisy for practicing and absolutely brutal for gigs. I didn't even turn on the power to my kit the last few months I owned it. I basically played it like practice pads.
If I went to see any of my favorite drummers and they played an electric kit I would be so mad.
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 pm

You're missing the point fellas. I would LOVE to have this rig.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:24 pm

bstocky wrote:and they look stupid. Watch Exit Stage Left when Neil stands up and plays real wood blocks and bells, it's awesome! Then watch him play the pads. It's so lame. Even if they sound exactly like acoustic drums there's a visual excitement to watching a human play an acoustic kit. The smartest, most creative guys like Mastellotto and Verderosa are still lame playing e-anything on stage. I have a King Crimson dvd, one tour Pat plays a monster electric kit and the other is acoustic. The etour is SO bad! I can't even watch it.
I've owned the last four generations of Yamaha kits. They're all bad. Still noisy for practicing and absolutely brutal for gigs. I didn't even turn on the power to my kit the last few months I owned it. I basically played it like practice pads.
If I went to see any of my favorite drummers and they played an electric kit I would be so mad.

It bugs me a little that they will set up an inflatable rabbit or some clothes dryers but can't lug some real temple blocks and a glockenspiel.
sturla

Postby sturla » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm

It bugs me a little that they will set up an inflatable rabbit or some clothes dryers but can't lug some real temple blocks and a glockenspiel.

Exactly!! I've always felt that an electric sampled version is a budget, transportation or limited stage space alternative for the real thing.

Return to “Drumming Chat”