Cindy on Dennis's drums....

Paul Marangoni

Re: Cindy on Dennis's drums....

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 am

bstocky wrote:Good drummers don't drop their sticks.

yikes!b :oops: :? :!:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am

I'm comfortable with the fact that good drummers don't drop sticks as long as great drummers do.

I've been dropping sticks more often lately.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 am

I grabbed the slider and moved it forward, ended up somewhere in the middle of the solo and thought it was one of those Shred parodies. I'm not kidding.
timmy

Postby timmy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 am

i'd like to see dennis on cindy's kit :shock:
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm

MrGroover wrote:I love Jack when he is keeping time, swinging, but when it comes to solo...hmmmmmm it sounds like shit. Terrible, incomplete, non-sense, sloppy phrases with bad ideas.

You just lost any credibility right there. That is probably the craziest thing I have ever seen posted on this forum. Wow. :shock:
Rene

Postby Rene » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:31 pm

^^ mrgroover reminds me of two "other" persons on the forum.....

Ps vinnie's zildjians cymbals sounded like :|
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Rene wrote:^^ mrgroover reminds me of two "other" persons on the forum.....

Ps vinnie's zildjians cymbals sounded like :|

Tell me about it. It's Josiah all over.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrGroover

Postby MrGroover » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
MrGroover wrote:I love Jack when he is keeping time, swinging, but when it comes to solo...hmmmmmm it sounds like shit. Terrible, incomplete, non-sense, sloppy phrases with bad ideas.

You just lost any credibility right there. That is probably the craziest thing I have ever seen posted on this forum. Wow. :shock:

Sorry Paul that I disappointed you...I am just expressing a personal opinion. Jack is a guy that I admire a lot...he is been a great influence on my playing. I've seen him live 3 times and I really really love his playing. I saw him recently here in LA at Catalina Bar Grill on his 70th birthday celebration w/ Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke. It was simply amazing but again...when he took a drum solo (ALONE)...just himself...he just lost me. It was so off and messy that I just got totally disconnected you know. Well to be honest I really don't like drum solos...unless they are doing within a musical context. The only guys that I would listen to for a drum solo ALONE would be Weckl, Vinnie, Buddy Rich and Steve Holmes. Seriously!!! :)

I probably went too harsh on the comments that I made...I guess I was in a bad mood or something but I still stand by my comments on Cindy's playing. Sorry...she just doesn't do it for me. Nothing personal!!!
There are lot of drummers that I respect but can't stand listening to and she is one of them.

Someone here made a comment saying that technique means nothing and I do agree w/ that statement 100%. But in this particular context where you are playing professionally w/ a high profile gig, thousands of people watching, big production, and you are given a chance to do a solo for a few minutes??? Dude you gotta have you shit together. Meaning you either keep it simple, nice, and short or have something pre-prepare for that situation. In another words...you might want to learn or sharpen your technique if you planning to show something at least enjoyable and listenable. But when I listened to her it seems like she didn't really care what she was doing.

Another thing that really bugs me in her playing is her constant madness towards the instrument. She hits the drums like she wants to kill someone...so angry, so upset, so aggressive, so furious, I don't know I just don't get it.

I found some videos of her and unfortunately I couldn't watch most of them for more than a minute or so but this one here I couldn't take for more than 30 secs...
I just could not believe how bad the sound of her drums was...completely out of tune. I mean...she did a few cool things but the tuning was really bad. How can you play like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf-v5vT-UmE

I am sorry guys but I really don't understand how she got into the music business. Oh Oh wait....a girl w/ big afro playing drums??? She wants to sound like Elvin, Tony, and Roy but she wouldn't make into the Jazz scene so she got a rock gig instead(Lenny Kravitz)!!! So now that she has the name and the money(Santana)...she wants to do the jazz thing and everybody is so amazed about it!!!! Oh Okay...I got it now!!!
Punch me guys!!!! I am ready :|
Last edited by MrGroover on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:04 pm

I dunno.. Sounds like a Tony Williams vibe to me.. Some people love it.. It's more about an expression than having an idea of what you re going to play... Some would say Tony Williams solo approach is all over the place non coherent .. However he pushed the boundaries of many things,, and his chops and ideas were killer.. Cindy's playing is cut from the same reckless abandon.... I'm sure if she wanted to play a more structured solo she could... Her playing does sound frantic and angry though... But that might be the point...
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 am

chaps.
my original post had nothing to do with musicianship - either Cindy's or Dennis's .

They are both world class drummers with their own unique voices: the solo clip from Bernhard's excellent site just seemed to me to be so wrong: here's a drummer at the very top level, playing a kit she was obviously fighting hard with.
Surely Santana's crew wouldn't have struggled too much to set Cindy's own kit up?

That's all it was.... :o
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr

Return to “Drumming Chat”