Cindy on Dennis's drums....

JohnDrum

Cindy on Dennis's drums....

Postby JohnDrum » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/cind ... ntana.html
watched this for the first time tonight, and I was struck by how she seemed to be struggling to get any kind of response from the drums, and was surpised at how , at their level of the profession, this could happen,then I realised it was Dennis's Pearl kit......and can't believe how bad they sound! or is it just me???? :o
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
circh bustom

Re: Cindy on Dennis's drums....

Postby circh bustom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:46 pm

I felt weird watching this. I couldn't make it thru the whole solo. She looked very uncomfortable. You are correct. The drums sound not so good.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Come on guys, can you imagine DC's back beat ?!!! :o

Not so much people can handle playing after him, in his own kit and getting a big sound, unless the sound engineer makes the ajustment necessary.

But I can't watch anyway, I did just 15 seconds... :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Seems to me like they were tuned way to tight for her liking.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 pm

^^ snare maybe, but I was thinking just the opposite. I could be wrong.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm

I thought it sounded good. I like Cindy's playing as I do with most Gretsch drummers. It really is no coincidence. :) I thought the double time section got a little chaotic but I think that's what they were going for. That's also partially Cindy's drumming. One thing I can say, she seems to fight the drums really really hard which kind of turns me off but it's intentional. Her beat is huge and sounds good though. Definitely a Tony disciple.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 pm

The cymbals were really hot, as Dennis hits them with a little more finesse. I think that helped make it sound worse. Plus, she was probably thrown up there on the spot, with no warning, warmup etc...
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Ouch...

I was feeling pain for her during that solo.

Classic, awkward "a jazz drummer playing a rock kit" thing going on. Plus, the thinner sticks she uses, and the fact that she plays top down (cymbals loudest, drums less) makes for a not so great application on a "not jazz" kit playing "not jazz" music.

Also, Dennis is a big guy with some serious mass in his arms. There's allot to be said for differing physicality when it comes to drums. The mics, gates, levels etc are obviously setup for his velocity, and that wasn't helping her either.

It seemed she was struggling with the dryness of his snare too.

Bummer. I love Cindy.

That was not pretty.
MrGroover

Postby MrGroover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 am

Not sure why you guys are taking so easy on her...Is it just because she is a woman???
Well in my opinion her entire performance was just awful...horrible. And to blame the drums, the set up, the tunning, the mixing, I am sorry but it is simply ridiculous. Dumb excuse!!!

Her solo sounded like a 10 yrd old kid trying to show off at Guitar Center. Sorry!! :o

There are a couple of other videos of her playing the same song, with Dennis's drums but different venues and it sounds pretty much the same crap in my opinion. So, the argument that she got off guard to perform that song is invalid as it seems it was something that they planned for the tour. Not sure why she didn't ask to have a small jazz set just for her to perform that song. I think she would probably sound better and she would feel much more comfortable too. It would make more sense.

I think the problem is actually with her playing...specially her technique. I watched some other youtube videos of her and I noticed that maybe 70% of the times she is not "hitting" the drums properly. Even though she makes a lot physical effort to get the sound out of the drums but at the same time it seems like she is not hitting hard enough to make the drums to talk. I don't know...it's kind of weird actually! I also find her left hand weak and sloppy and that is probably affecting her sound too. May be if she switches to a havier sticks???

She might be a good drummer but she is definately not a soloist. She reminded me Jack deJohnette. I love Jack when he is keeping time, swinging, but when it comes to solo...hmmmmmm it sounds like shit. Terrible, incomplete, non-sense, sloppy phrases with bad ideas.

Anyways I don't really understand why she is even playing if it is DC' s gig. Ohhhh okay...she's the boss' s wife!!!
I guess in this case it doesnt really matter if she "sucks"...she got the gig!!! But if it was someone else playing...it would probably be the end of his/her career. :roll:
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0uUYWF_i8w

same drums, different drummer.
;)
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr

Return to “Drumming Chat”