KEITH CARLOCK - Montreal Drum Fest 2012 Vids

JayD

Re: KEITH CARLOCK - Montreal Drum Fest 2012 Vids

Postby JayD » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 am

As working drummers- IMO we should understand that he gets hired as much as he does because he plays so uniquely. Like Kenny Aronoff- his playing style is so different- it really is the definition of "branding". I really feel as freelancers we really should figure out how to "brand" ourselves to attract more gigs.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:27 am

Yes the sound must be a temporary mix..really bad
I wonder how he would sound on a Yamaha 9000 with pinstripe and a big pillow in the bass drum..;)
There is always the thing with unison hands on the snare drum and that Carlock tomlick that really is a variation on a lick Vinnie always did in the 80:s..
But i forgive him because he is a world class drummer with a groove everybody would kill for and one unique drummer.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:24 pm

JayD wrote:As working drummers- IMO we should understand that he gets hired as much as he does because he plays so uniquely. Like Kenny Aronoff- his playing style is so different

What? Kenny unique? What am I missing? :?
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:31 pm

I like how Carlock tunes his drums. It is full, complex, rich. The bass drum was too deep into the mix [too soft, too little attack/batter head] Toms are somewhat loud but most mixes have the toms not loud enough, or lack of space/headroom. I don't listen enough to Carlock to have an opinion about his expanding or lack of expanding vocabulary. There is this 'thing' with music...it's not the building blocks that make it great, just the end result. Carlock is a drummer who in those vids makes me forget I'm listening to a drummer. I'm not distracted by anything. That is what music is about right there, on a friggin drum kit. Only a few drummers have that...there is this guy from Australia who can make you forget you're listening to a drummer...err...oh yeah, David Jones. Also NY free jazz drummer Joey Baron has this magic thing. Sometimes it is worthwhile to really dive into something that on first sight is not your 'cup of tea'.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am

This is perfect for me.
Pure Keith.
And he kills the tune.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 am

Funny to see Keith playing a song, titled "PYMFAO", that I recorded longtime ago end of the 90s.
Here the studio version : https://itunes.apple.com/fr/album/satya ... d275456928
Live version still end of the 90s, with a crazy sax/drums around 6mn50 : https://fr.yousendit.com/download/UW15R ... R2UwYjhUQw

Keith's take : (it seems that he decided to "ignore" the little 6/8's vibe in that groove)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am

MY GOD, Rodge! You´re KILLING IT in that live clip! Amazing stuff man... Makes me run to hit my pad! :)
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks hermano, you know, a lot of stuff that I played in the past, in that clip, I can't do it anymore, I hope/I guess I play now stuff that I could not play back then. :-)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 pm

killing rodge -- loved that. do you have that whole live set somewhere? would love to hear more.

Return to “Drumming Chat”