Vinnie's new cymbals

Isaac Lee

Re: Vinnie's new cymbals

Postby Isaac Lee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:16 am

For my ears; the kit sounds good. I like the toms more then the kick. The cymbals are interesting. Its crazy hearing Vinnie on Paiste. I really do like the ride and the china. The crashes have that signature paiste mid-range thing that I really dislike.

At the end of the day its Vinnie all the same.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Rene

Postby Rene » Tue May 07, 2013 10:39 am

http://www.musikmachen.de/Tests/Paiste-Formula-602-Modern-Essentials-Cymbals

A review by german web site "musik machen" and drummer Alex Vesper. Okay it's in German, but it's a good recording and most part of the review he actually plays on the cymbals.

He demonstrates two cymbal set-up's. The first setup from left to right: 18" china, 18" crash, 14" hihats, 8" splash, 20" ride, 16" crash. Around 2' 30" the setup is: 22" china, 18" crash, 15" hihat, 10" splash, 22" ride, 20" crash.

Overall very impressive sounding cymbals

Rene
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 pm

They sound like flat Ks to me - no attack on the crashes or chinas - which, for the china, is kinda cool - usually it's always in your face with chinas on the attack - the ride is the best of the bunch. I'd take that ride with A custom crashes and K hi hats.

Can anyone translate in summary what he says in the review?
percusski

Postby percusski » Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 pm

They are nice cymbals, most impressive of course is the reviewer's hat...a drummer ain't a good drummer without a cool hat!
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 am

The actual review is in the corresponding drum magazine. He just played the cymbals. The only thing he mentioned was Vinnie move that "shaked" the drum world and that vinnie wanted a cymbal line that wouldn't just be used by him.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 pm

I may need to take back what I said about them being flat Ks - I ordered a 22 ride and it arrived today. Sounds amazing - the stick stays separate from the wash no matter how much you build it - the separation between the stick and wash in pitch is amazing too. It's like an A Custom stick with a K Custom Dark Wash underneath. The bell is it's weak point for me - it's too separated from the cymbal - wish it were more integrated sounding - no body to the bell at all. Crash is beautiful without an annoying high pitch overtone - rides that get in that medium weight tend to do this, but not this one. I truly believe this is the most versatile ride I've played. Love the pitch of the wash (dark) and the pitch of the stick (cuts). It's the best of both worlds so far for real - I'll see how I like it with the band and once the honeymoon period is over - I've never played Paiste before this cymbal. Zildjian/Istanbul Agops only in the past.

I may have to try out the hats next.

EDIT: After playing around with it - it's too heavy for my tastes - It's gongy in comparison to my Agops - I still stand by with what I said above - just doesn't fit my ears and playing - I've adapted to the lighter weights I think - 2900 + grams for the ME 602 and 2400 for Agop OMs - big difference in feel under the stick. Think I'll stick with what I have, but the ME are extremely versatile cymbals beautiful sounding cymbals.
Niles

Postby Niles » Fri May 17, 2013 9:06 am

drum6282 wrote:I may have to try out the hats next.

EDIT: After playing around with it - it's too heavy for my tastes - It's gongy in comparison to my Agops - I still stand by with what I said above - just doesn't fit my ears and playing - I've adapted to the lighter weights I think - 2900 + grams for the ME 602 and 2400 for Agop OMs - big difference in feel under the stick. Think I'll stick with what I have, but the ME are extremely versatile cymbals beautiful sounding cymbals.

I tried the hihats yesterday for the first time. I was surprised at how light they are. I''ve also adapted to lighter cymbals (Paiste Traditionals...), but because the ME hihats are so light, I liked the 15s more than the 14s. Knowing that the 22" ME is around 2900+, I thought the hihats would be slightly heavier... I've only tried the hihats, I'm definitely curious about the rest of the line (except the 22" Ride, that's just way too heavy)...
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 am

I hit a few of these at Pro Drum recently. 20" ride, 18" crash, 15" & 14" hats.

The hats are fantastic- especially the 15's. The crash didn't blow me away and the ride was really interesting. It was heavier than I expected it to be but it didn't really play like it was a heavy cymbal. Lovely stick sound. These are definitely pies that can cross genre's with ease. I'm curious to try the larger rides.

Also hit a Yamaha Club Custom- 12" rack, 14" & 16" floors 14x5.5 snare and a 24" kick. BEAUTIFUL sounding drums. May attempt selling my Starclassics for a set of these.
Got Blushda?
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Willy - I now own 2 club custom kits (22/12/16/14 & 20/12/14/14) Beautiful sounding (and looking) drums, it's a shame these are being discontinued. The snare is a sleeper classic - love it. Nothing but compliments from fellow musicians & engineers.

I want a 24/13/16/14 before they go out of production at the end of June, but funds are limited. I highly recommend picking one up. They're extremely versatile and can be tuned up or down.

Return to “Drumming Chat”