Vinnie's new cymbals

Rhythmatist

Re: Vinnie's new cymbals

Postby Rhythmatist » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 pm

circh bustom wrote:I am not very familiar with paiste. Recently I have heard a few drummers locally with Paiste rides and only one impressed me. I may be in the minority but I like the inconsistency with Zildjian cymbals. I like that a friend of mine has the exact same 18" K Dark Crash as I do and they do not sound the same. What may sound like garbage to one may sound great played by someone else. I dig searching for that cymbal that speaks to me.

I'm in this camp as well...been pretty much a Z player since I was 5 (will be 59 this year). I like the idea of having a set of unique instruments that, individually and as a choir have a sound unlike any other. I've played a few P's and S's that sound and feel absolutely fantastic and others that didn't speak to me. Same with Z's too...a cymbal has to jump up and speak to me before I buy it. I played about a dozen K Custom Dark Rides at several stores before gravitating to one that turned out to be extremely versatile that I've been playing for about 4 years now. But overall, I favor Zildjian...something about the way they feel (at least in the K, K Custom and A Custom lines). I'm a big fan of the Sabian hhx Evo's too especially the 16" crashes although I don't own any (yet). I've played several and in my experience those have been the most consistent and versatile of any I've played.

One thing I find with some cymbals, hats in particular, is that they can often become "played out." That certain something just disappears, whether it's something physical or maybe I just don't hear it the same.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 am

This new line (Modern Essentials) is really, REALLY nice. Check them out when you can. I think you'll dig them people. I was checking them out at NAMM.
Rene

Postby Rene » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am

I posted the link first then watched it. He's a real marketing instrument. Honestly it made think of zappa,

Vinnie: shut up 'n play yer .... :) soi hope that are some footages of vinnie playing his cymbals shot at namm ...
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:08 am

Vinnie loves his new ride cymbal >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grdCl9egyU4#t=6m20s
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 am

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :|
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 am

amoergosum wrote:Vinnie loves his new ride cymbal >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grdCl9egyU4#t=6m20s

Finally, a Vinnie You Tube video, that I might, with time and patience, be able to transcribe! :D :D :D
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Rodge, trust me. You will love these cymbals.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 pm

He is absolutely right about the sound of these cymbals being "mixed". They are almost pitched.

He's also right about the evenness of the ride, which could be almost a drawback. Laying into a cymbal sometimes means finding that sweet spot and finding the character of the cymbal.

Paistes lack a bit of that. But if you need the consistency, which is kinda nice sometimes, there ya have it.

My 2002 ride is a helluva lot of fun to play. A big benefit is that the bell is the same every single time I hit it. It's hard to mishit them.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 am

That makes up for durability as well. A cymbal that's more even in density all over the body is less likely to break.
Also, we're not talking jazzy, Bill Stewart kind of cymbals here. Keep that in mind. Vinnie (as many others) plays both big arenas and small gigs and that demands consistency in your cymbal response. You don't really identify him with dark, complex ride sounds. Precisely the concept behind A Customs was a more modern sound.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito

Return to “Drumming Chat”