Vinnie's new cymbals

Avi_drums

Re: Vinnie's new cymbals

Postby Avi_drums » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 pm

I like the change. Not to say some of the other comments don't have legitimacy (minus the one describing Vinnie's drumming as dull) but I subscribe more to the 'player is the instrument' type of concept. And I like the Paiste and Ludwig sound, (not to mention) the great drummers who play(ed) them.
Last edited by Avi_drums on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Manu wrote:I heard some of it I think it was on a Karizma new recording on Spotify, the sound was to dry for my taste and the cymbals didn't express anything memorable, quite dull overall, just like his playing.....

Interesting. Honestly, I don't think he was playing Paiste cymbals on that session. I'm surprised you find his playing dull too.

I know he was using Paistes on the Krantz record (I think he was playing Traditionals) and 2002s on some stuff with Tal, and Giant Beats on a Stanley Clarke record a while back. Before the Paistes he was experimenting with Istanbuls too (both Agop and Mehmet), so he may have been using those on the Karizma.
Rene

Postby Rene » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:13 am

Love Paiste cymbals, heck most of my cymbals are Paistes, but this story sounds like A Customs to me....

Paiste isn't doing much with their alloy recently, btw. It's all B20 nowadays...

ps when are we going to see Vinnie's new sign. drum sticks? By VF I believe....?
Last edited by Rene on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 am

Rene wrote:Love Paiste cymbals, heck most of my cymbals are Paistes, but this story sounds like A Customs to me.... Paiste isn't doing much with their alloy recently. It's all B20....

ps when are we going to see Vinnie's new sign. drum sticks? By VF I believe....?

Next week at Namm would be a good time to launch them!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 am

But Zildjian drum stick are made by VF already...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Rene

Postby Rene » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 am

I know. I was refering to this post by paul:

http://www.houseofdrumming.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1572&p=24087#p24087

switch brands ... But keeping the $$$$$$ :)
Last edited by Rene on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 am

The 602s are cymbals that I wouldn't turn to for loud rock playing. They are very delicate and don't respond with a lot of volume the louder you hit, it's wasted energy.
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:13 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Manu wrote:I heard some of it I think it was on a Karizma new recording on Spotify, the sound was to dry for my taste and the cymbals didn't express anything memorable, quite dull overall, just like his playing.....

Interesting. Honestly, I don't think he was playing Paiste cymbals on that session. I'm surprised you find his playing dull too.

I know he was using Paistes on the Krantz record (I think he was playing Traditionals) and 2002s on some stuff with Tal, and Giant Beats on a Stanley Clarke record a while back. Before the Paistes he was experimenting with Istanbuls too (both Agop and Mehmet), so he may have been using those on the Karizma.

I recall particularly disliking the BD sound in that. BTW I'd need to check that Krantz record.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 am

I quite like this new set up, in a weird way. (Not the sound, obviously; the configuration.) By the looks of the size of the rack tom versus snare, it's the 13", 16", 18" setup he mentioned in Modern Drummer. ROCK, eh?

I was always amazed at how he inhabited completely different styles always using roughly the same set up. (Personally I like, maybe even need, to switch the set-up around based on the style of band I'm playing with.)

I'm quite interested to see him playing on a different set up - and one which is much more common among your regular gigging drummers.
____
Ned
Noise Picker

Postby Noise Picker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

They look like the old 602/Sound Creation transitional Dark Ride cymbals from the mid seventies, those with the dense smaller moon craters. Actually I thought that Paiste would have unearthen the SC line since they are so much in demand. But those new 602s are probably just as good. Very exciting news, but one will need a deep pocket to but a set of those *cough* *cough* $$$$ + a leg + taxes *cough* *cough*

Return to “Drumming Chat”