Vinnie's new cymbals

Kurtis

Re: Vinnie's new cymbals

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

lets move on people. talking about the piaste sound is like talking about severe abdominal pain. see guys no one bitches or even questions the zildjian sound. I can't see myself playing any other cymbal than zildjian's.
Matus

Postby Matus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm

There is a whole lot to complain about Zildjian and their sound in the last 10-12 years...
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:01 pm

They are two totally separate cymbal lines. One sounds good, so does the other.

Because this argument about Paiste has been around since I started playing! :o)
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I bet those cymbals sound great and unlike Zildjians they will be consistent.
drumpal

Postby drumpal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:00 am

bstocky wrote:I bet those cymbals sound great and unlike Zildjians they will be consistent.

Exactly, even though the vast majority of my cymbals are Zildjians, I have to admit that when I would go to the drum shop to get a new Zildjian cymbal (and I wanted Zildjian because most of my favourite drummers played them - Vinnie, Weckl at the time, Smith, Gadd, etc.) most, if not all, of the Zildjians I tested sounded like sh*t. Finding a good-sounding Zildjian was like finding a diamond in the rough. Most of the time I would leave the drum store with no new cymbal, because I wanted a Zildjian, but none of them sounded good.

However, whenever I went over to the Paiste rack they were way more "consistent." Almost all of them sounded good and were buyable. But my "Zildjian pride" wouldn't let me buy them. I knew that those Paistes sounded better, but I still wanted Zildjians. Eventually I got over this silly, arbitrary loyalty to a particular "name" or "brand" crap and started getting what sounded good. So now I have Zildjians, Paistes, and Sabians in my collection. But, the point is, the Paistes are way more consistent.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm

drumpal wrote:
bstocky wrote:I bet those cymbals sound great and unlike Zildjians they will be consistent.

Exactly, even though the vast majority of my cymbals are Zildjians, I have to admit that when I would go to the drum shop to get a new Zildjian cymbal (and I wanted Zildjian because most of my favourite drummers played them - Vinnie, Weckl at the time, Smith, Gadd, etc.) most, if not all, of the Zildjians I tested sounded like sh*t. Finding a good-sounding Zildjian was like finding a diamond in the rough. Most of the time I would leave the drum store with no new cymbal, because I wanted a Zildjian, but none of them sounded good.

However, whenever I went over to the Paiste rack they were way more "consistent." Almost all of them sounded good and were buyable. But my "Zildjian pride" wouldn't let me buy them. I knew that those Paistes sounded better, but I still wanted Zildjians. Eventually I got over this silly, arbitrary loyalty to a particular "name" or "brand" crap and started getting what sounded good. So now I have Zildjians, Paistes, and Sabians in my collection. But, the point is, the Paistes are way more consistent.

I agree 100%.
I bought 2 new paiste cymbals recently and my playing experience has improved a lot:
18" mellow crash and 19" full crash from Paiste, and compared with my old 18 K custom crash and 16 A custom crash...
Now, for example, when I hit the bassdrum with the paiste crashes, no matter the place/stage I am, the sound i get is AWESOME, and the dinamics are better in the paiste.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:10 pm

It is hard to find a good zildjian cymbal. i have some various crashes i picked about 10 years ago that sound great. custom A's and some K's. i don't play them all that much. just in studio situations and some live dates. when i go to GC i go in the cymbal room and hit some cymbals. seems the quality of cymbals is not what it used to be 10 to 20 years ago. to bad good cymbals crack. paiste's are great but i aint' going to buy them.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:21 pm

I´m just getting used to my first Paiste ride (Twenty series)... Am I alone thinking that there´s a particular feel about Paiste cymbals... I mean a feel when playing them (not talking about the sound)...
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 pm

They are less "springy" than Zs to me. They might feel a little less active under the stick, but that makes them easier to control.

It's subjective.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm

I have found in recent year you have to dig deep in the shelves of may drum stores to find a decent sounding Zildjian anything these days. Last couple of years I have been using the older K's and A Customs and have grabbed K Custom Hybrids along the way but these were direct from the supplier but I had to sift through 40 odd crashes before I found one that didn't sound "clangy".

Just before Christmas Paiste supplied me with a case full of rides, crashes, hats and other bits a pieces and I was blown away with how responsive they were.... to me it was like Zildjian was back in the 90's......dark, washy and damn good. Don't get me wrong with over 60 Zildjians in my house I love them dearly as I have hand picked everyone of them but for me Paiste has taken notice of the local scene here and supporting the artists like you wouldn't believe.

When I hear Vinnie I still love that Yamaha RC and Zildjian sound, a change is as good as a holiday.

Return to “Drumming Chat”