Nervous, yet quite excited.

JerryOnDrums

Nervous, yet quite excited.

Postby JerryOnDrums » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 pm

So, I'm in graduate school right now, about to complete my master's in Jazz Performance. Peter Martin (as in, the guy that plays with Greg Hutchinson and Brian Blade regularly) is an artist in residence here currently, and I recently casually asked him if he'd play on my grad recital. He said "sure", and I subsequently had a moment of pure terror/elation. I feel good about my skills and all, but damn...this guy played piano on Joshua Redman's "Spirit of the Moment: Live at the Village Vanguard" album, with Chris Thomas on bass and Blade on drums. It is SUCH an insanely awesome album, crazy swinging. And now this guy is going to play on my grad recital. :shock:

Needless to say, Peter is an amazing musician and equally impressive person and educator. Here's to hoping I bring my A-Game to the table!

Anybody else have any other "oh shit! I get to play with THAT guy?? " playing experiences?
Julián Fernández

Re: Nervous, yet quite excited.

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Congrats! Don´t forget to tape the performance! :D
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:13 pm

It could be worse, like playing with someone of less experience. :lol:
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Although I don't play "with" him, I sit in after Steve Ellington (played a lot with Hal Galper, also the drummer on the Abersold playalong stuff... not to mention Duke Ellington's nephew) on a regular bop thing on Sunday nights quite a bit. It can be intimidating, he's a monster and a seemingly endless well of ideas and phrasing. The thing I notice about most of the great players I have met or know that have accomplished amazing or notable stuff in their careers is they tend to be positive and uplifting people. The kind of people you want to be around and that thrive off of and create a positive energy. When they give you advice or suggestions, it's always constructive and thoughtful, and they make it a point to encourage rather than discourage. As intimidating as it can be to hear what Steve plays (and how well he listens), he always makes you feel like your thing is important and wants to hear you play well.

Best of luck on your grad recital, and if you can share, please do!
JerryOnDrums

Postby JerryOnDrums » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Very well said, bensdrums. Couldn't agree more. I'll definitely have video and/or good audio of the performance, so I'll try to remember to update this thread in the spring after it's all done.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm

So... How it went? ;)
JerryOnDrums

Postby JerryOnDrums » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:So... How it went? ;)

Well unfortunately, Peter ended up not being able to do the recital. He was out of town on tour for a few weeks during the end of March/beginning of April, during which time I had to perform (and pass) my recital jury. It's required that the jury be composed of the actual performers on the recital itself, so basically due to a technicality, I wasn't able to have him play. Bummer! It's all good though, because the "other" piano professor (who is a total monster) was able to step in and play. So all good, if not quite the epic outcome I'd hoped for! The recital isn't happening until the 24th of this month, and it will be professionally recorded. I'll try to update this thread with some tunes if anyone is interested. ;)
JerryOnDrums

Postby JerryOnDrums » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:14 am

One year later...I finally got around to posting up a video from the recital. The audio is just a pair of condenser mics in the room, so if you have headphones it will definitely sound much better. This was a co-recital with a sax player that was in the program with me, and this is our arrangement of "In Walked Bud". Hope you dig.

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:32 am

Yeah man great job on he recital. =) Thanks for the update.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:35 am

JerryOnDrums wrote: Hope you dig.

I do. I dig. Top quality.

Return to “Drumming Chat”