Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

beat hit

Re: Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Postby beat hit » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Randy Walker wrote:Jim, i have a question. with Sakae making drums under their own name, doesn't that come off as a conflict for Yamaha at all? just curious

Randy.. Were you really expecting an answer?? :lol:
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 am

would have been nice, but i suppose not :o)
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 am

Randy Walker wrote:would have been nice, but i suppose not :o)

I appologize for the late reply, things are pretty busy here trying to close out the fiscal year. We don't really consider Sakae making their own branded drums a conflict. In fact, they were given Yamaha's blessings. We very much want Sakae and the Nakata family to remain in business and successful. We have a long standing relationship and remain close friends. Sakae was given all of the machinery that Yamaha outfitted the factory with as a gift as appreciation for a long standing friendship and business relationship. They are still producing all of our drums except Gigmaker, Stage Custom Birch(which was never made there), and Live Custom(Oak production is stopping soon).

And as to why you wouldn't expect a response, why is that? I think that history and my reputation shows that I don't dodge inquiries and am pretty up front with information as much as possible. But the fact is, we are running a business and there will always be times when information can't be shared until the powers that be give the okay.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 am

thanks for the reply JIm, my comment to not responding was merely exactly what you said, sometimes there may come a time where certain info is not meant to be shared
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am

drumnhands wrote:

And as to why you wouldn't expect a response, why is that? I think that history and my reputation shows that I don't dodge inquiries and am pretty up front with information as much as possible. But the fact is, we are running a business and there will always be times when information can't be shared until the powers that be give the okay.

Hey, pardon the sarcastic jest .. All the best..
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 pm

beat hit wrote:
drumnhands wrote:

Hey, pardon the sarcastic jest .. All the best..

It's all good.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm just marking my place. I'll read all of this eventually. I do have a question for Jim though, do you know if the latest Hex Rack clamps will work with the very old round Yamaha bars? I have this and I'd like to buy more clamps for it. Are the new Hex clamps compatible.

http://houseofdrumming.com/phpbb3/viewt ... p=825#p825
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:42 pm

bstocky wrote:I'm just marking my place. I'll read all of this eventually. I do have a question for Jim though, do you know if the latest Hex Rack clamps will work with the very old round Yamaha bars? I have this and I'd like to buy more clamps for it. Are the new Hex clamps compatible.

http://houseofdrumming.com/phpbb3/viewt ... p=825#p825

No, the Hex clamps are not compatible with the original Super Rack. The new clamps ARE compatible with the original HexRack.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Great, thanks for the answer.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 am

This is what I have heard from some friends who are Yamaha Drum artists. Yamaha is not moving to China. Yamaha is a Japanese company. The prototypes are all made in Japan and The U.S and will now be sent to China for production. Even the high end lines I believe. This is no surprise as China is a cheaper option for production and the quality is very good. The way Japan used to be in the 70s and the way the US was in the 40s-50s. Strong and up and coming. Sakae was too expensive, and as we all know the bottom line is to make profit, otherwise we'll have no great drum kits in the music stores. Where the mass production takes place is not a reason for concern. The concern is in case studies and input from endorsers, innovation, hardware, and sound. The blueprints for mass production will be the same regardless of the nationality of the skilled worker following them. Yamaha for me are still in top ranks, right out of the box. When artists that sell product like Vinnie Colaiuta switch companies, I can assure you that it's a financial decision. Paiste is a very wealthy company, in a very wealthy country. The top players all have an endorsement salary. By top, I mean V.C D.W S.G...Ludwig is paying Vinnie. Yamaha pays Weckl and Gadd. I can tell you that since certain people on the industry side left Yamaha, Russ Miller has not had the advertising push from Yamaha that he had in previous years. Russ is a great player, but the reality is that Yamaha needs to keep the people that play on TV along with Steve Gadd and Dave Weckl, and that's all they need to keep selling drums. The other greats they have keep Yamaha in the "players" arena. Drummers in the studio and on the road. Keeping Yamaha visible in music videos, clubs, theaters and arenas across the world. It keeps them current, and those drummers do receive comped gear. But Dave Weckl, sells Yamaha. Russ Miller in my opinion didn't. He'll be the one dealing with Mapex on tour. YIKES! That's my 2cents.

Return to “Drumming Chat”