Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Paul Marangoni

Re: Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:When artists that sell product like Vinnie Colaiuta switch companies, I can assure you that it's a financial decision. Paiste is a very wealthy company, in a very wealthy country. The top players all have an endorsement salary.

You state that like it's a fact, when it is purely speculation on your part. Not only that, but it's wrong. And THAT is a fact.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Mr. Robert B. A financial decision? What? It's not like they depend on their endorsement money to pay for their mortgage. Please. who gives a shit how much someone makes. I can see if your name is on a snare drum that you helped create. There might be some kick back there.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Gadd and Weckl will make money from Yamaha, yes... on products that they have their name on. They're not getting paid to play Yamaha.

And, sorry, but how often do you really see those two on TV these days? Not exactly sure that's a valid argument.

Vinnie went were he did because of the support and consistency of the product that resided in those companies. For his needs, Gretsch and Zildjian were lacking. It's also clear especially from the recent 602 video that he's digging his new sound.
Got Blushda?
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 am

It's actually not speculation. They are on payroll, signature products or not. But hey, believe what you want as it makes no difference. I can't divulge how I know this because revealing that in a public forum would be disrespectful, but it comes directly from the people involved. WillyZ I was saying Yamaha only needs it's TV drummers along with Gadd and Weckl to sell drums, I didn't say Gadd and Weckl are on TV. By TV drummers I mean, Anton Fig, Teddy Campbell, guest artists on TV shows, etc. Anything that shows that Yamaha logo on television.

Back to the endorsements, forget what I know that comes direct from the sources, just think from a business standpoint. In every other field endorsers are on payroll. They are paid. Athlete's , actors, and celebrities. Do you really believe that the greatest musicians on the planet are playing instruments with logo's on them, appearing in ads and videos promoting products for only free gear in return? Really? That's fantasy. They are being paid, it's all business. Any top drummer even the "lesser knowns" receive tons of free gear. Last year I took a lesson with a Yamaha artist in L.A. A lesser known artist but we know him, he works constantly. He get's tour support, is in ads occasionally and has about 300 cymbals 800 pairs of signature sticks, about 3 years worth drum heads , and 5 drum kits. All in his studio space where I took a lesson. He paid 0 dollars for the gear. This drummer does not get paid a salary, but he receives all the perks. What would be the difference between this drummer and Dave Weckl on the endorsement chain? Do you really believe that drummers such as Vinnie, Dave, and Gadd who are more successful and more famous, and historic innovators, endorse products for the same return as the drummer I took a lesson with? Minus the facts that I have been privy to, just use logic. There is no way. No way famous drummers suddenly switch playing brands without money being a factor. I know the stereo type is that musicians are bad with money, but let's not be ignorant folks! It's all business.
Kurtis, are you saying because they don't need the money that they don't earn it? Do you think Tiger Woods needs the money from Nike? He earns over 5 million in tournaments alone. It's the same business model, on a lesser scale. A drummer like Vinnie is the equivalent of a Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan in sports. Did you know that Alicia Keys receives $300.000 per year to be a Yamaha artist? Do you really think Dave Weckl or Vinnie Colaiuta are that naive, and don't realize they should be being paid? HAHA! Willy believes the Vinnie commercial. I love it! I guess you also believe that Brad Pitt wears Polo cologne because he likes the smell. I'm not saying Vinnie didn't work with Paiste to develop a slightly different 602 model and get a sound he likes. But if he loved the 602's so much, why was he playing Z's for 40 years prior? Do you think one morning Vinnie woke up and decided he would leave Yamaha for Gretsch, and Gretsch for Ludwig? He was approached by Paiste, he was approached by Ludwig. Approached with monetary and contractual benefits. These people are being paid, the same way others are being paid! You think somehow someone invented a rule that everyone in the world will be paid for endorsing products, except drummers? You guys drank serious kool aid. HA!
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:42 am

Nah ....what if your teacher is not exactly telling the truth?....like not 'all the stuff' was for free? ;-]....oh and Paiste more money/bigger corp than Zildjian?.... :lol:
groober

Postby groober » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:06 am

Robert Bluman wrote:It's actually not speculation. They are on payroll, signature products or not. But hey, believe what you want as it makes no difference. I can't divulge how I know this because revealing that in a public forum would be disrespectful, but it comes directly from the people involved. WillyZ I was saying Yamaha only needs it's TV drummers along with Gadd and Weckl to sell drums, I didn't say Gadd and Weckl are on TV. By TV drummers I mean, Anton Fig, Teddy Campbell, guest artists on TV shows, etc. Anything that shows that Yamaha logo on television.

Back to the endorsements, forget what I know that comes direct from the sources, just think from a business standpoint. In every other field endorsers are on payroll. They are paid. Athlete's , actors, and celebrities. Do you really believe that the greatest musicians on the planet are playing instruments with logo's on them, appearing in ads and videos promoting products for only free gear in return? Really? That's fantasy. They are being paid, it's all business. Any top drummer even the "lesser knowns" receive tons of free gear. Last year I took a lesson with a Yamaha artist in L.A. A lesser known artist but we know him, he works constantly. He get's tour support, is in ads occasionally and has about 300 cymbals 800 pairs of signature sticks, about 3 years worth drum heads , and 5 drum kits. All in his studio space where I took a lesson. He paid 0 dollars for the gear. This drummer does not get paid a salary, but he receives all the perks. What would be the difference between this drummer and Dave Weckl on the endorsement chain? Do you really believe that drummers such as Vinnie, Dave, and Gadd who are more successful and more famous, and historic innovators, endorse products for the same return as the drummer I took a lesson with? Minus the facts that I have been privy to, just use logic. There is no way. No way famous drummers suddenly switch playing brands without money being a factor. I know the stereo type is that musicians are bad with money, but let's not be ignorant folks! It's all business.
Kurtis, are you saying because they don't need the money that they don't earn it? Do you think Tiger Woods needs the money from Nike? He earns over 5 million in tournaments alone. It's the same business model, on a lesser scale. A drummer like Vinnie is the equivalent of a Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan in sports. Did you know that Alicia Keys receives $300.000 per year to be a Yamaha artist? Do you really think Dave Weckl or Vinnie Colaiuta are that naive, and don't realize they should be being paid? HAHA! Willy believes the Vinnie commercial. I love it! I guess you also believe that Brad Pitt wears Polo cologne because he likes the smell. I'm not saying Vinnie didn't work with Paiste to develop a slightly different 602 model and get a sound he likes. But if he loved the 602's so much, why was he playing Z's for 40 years prior? Do you think one morning Vinnie woke up and decided he would leave Yamaha for Gretsch, and Gretsch for Ludwig? He was approached by Paiste, he was approached by Ludwig. Approached with monetary and contractual benefits. These people are being paid, the same way others are being paid! You think somehow someone invented a rule that everyone in the world will be paid for endorsing products, except drummers? You guys drank serious kool aid. HA!

Dear sir,
Your tone and content sound both condescending and pompous. You are addressing for the most part people who live and breath all facets of the drumming communiy including the industry and some pretty top players. Would you mind taking 5 minutes to reconsider your approach ... This isn't a game of who's right and who's wrong.
I always like to think of it as a place for friendly sharing and inspiration, and sometimes it is.
Thanking you
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

I agree Groober, and having not been here for a while, it's not pleasant posting something and having it be controversial. My tone in my first post in this thread was not pompous or condescending, however I found the posts telling me I was wrong a little condescending, especially considering that I'm sharing info that comes from the artists who endorse these products. I found that insulting. One of them was very condescending. Paul I believe said that. Combine that with a little common sense and knowledge of the oldest system in the world, which is bartering, now known as business and capitalism, and you have a common sense answer. My apologies if you feel I said something wrong, but if you scroll back , you'll see what led me to be a bit more stern. Drummers are not idiots. They are compensated for playing brand name instruments, the same way athletes are compensated for wearing athletic shoes. Call me crazy, but I don't see an argument there.

My teacher, who is not really MY teacher. He's a name player I took 1 lesson with, he's just not like the top sellers I.E Vinnie. Why would he lie? That's ridiculous. Also, you can't tell me you're not aware of the endorsement scam business model. Anyone who pays a fee for their equipment is not an endorser. That's a scam these companies developed to get drummers to buy their drums. If you buy at cost directly from Yamaha they make the same profit as when you buy it from guitar center. No real endorser pays for gear. If they do, they bought into the scam. This guy I took a lesson with easily has over 50grand worth of drum gear. 2 of the kits were PHX's. He didn't buy it, he wouldn't lie. Matthijs Ament, do have any idea what it costs to live in Switzerland and run a business there? It's one of the most exclusive countries in the world. I don't know what their profit margin is, but I do know that Paiste is a wealthy company. Wealthy in terms of making cymbals, not Bill Gates wealthy. Relatively wealthy. They're not just making ends meet.
My post is just using info I received from the source, combined with that lesson experience, and just an overall business logic. It's not offensive. It's just honest. Maybe next time I'll keep my mouth shut. I thought some insight would be helpful. The drum industry is a business, bottom line. I say we drop this, I didn't intend to get into debate about this. I just thought to myself that I would share info I had. I didn't mean to shatter anyone's BELIEF into how this system works. Believe all the greats just voluntarily act as promoters helping companies sell hundreds of thousands of dollars in drum and cymbals while only getting free gear in return. Believe that, if it makes you happy. Let me ask you a common sense question. When Vinnie was playing Yamaha, why was he using Gretsch constantly when the camera's were not rolling? Was it because he loved the sound of his Yamaha maple customs? All of those studio recordings we love, are Gretsch drums. I even saw him play Gretsch live a couple of times during his Yamaha days. Do you think maybe Yamaha offered him something that was appealing? I wonder. Why play Yamaha? He had no musical need to endorse Yamaha and could buy all of his drums if he needed to. He switched to Gretsch after Kaman purchased them because Kaman was able to provide him with what he needed ($). Drums are not what he needed. The man has plenty of drums. This is what I mean when I say business logic. Ludwig is owned by Steinway Inc. Steinway decided a few years back to put more money into the Ludwig by making better product and expanding it's endorser list. Have you noticed their endorser list growing quite a bit in the last few year? I have. Hmmm. Business. It's only logical when you have a decent budget to approach the person people believe to be the greatest living drummer. No? It's not rocket science.
Last edited by Robert Bluman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
groober

Postby groober » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:47 am

Robert Bluman wrote:I agree Groober, and having not been here for a while, it's not pleasant posting something and having it be controversial. My tone in my first post in this thread was not pompous or condescending, however I found the posts telling me I was wrong a little condescending, especially considering that I'm sharing info that comes from the artists who endorse these products. I found that insulting. One of them was very condescending. Paul I believe said that. Combine that with a little common sense and knowledge of the oldest system in the world, which is bartering, now known as business and capitalism, and you have a common sense answer. My apologies if you feel I said something wrong, but if you scroll back , you'll see what led me to be a bit more stern. Drummers are not idiots. They are compensated for playing brand name instruments, the same way athletes are compensated for wearing athletic shoes. Call me crazy, but I don't see an argument there.

My teacher, who is not really my teacher. He's a name player, just not like the top sellers like VC. Why would he lie? That's ridiculous. My post is just using info I received from the source, combined with that lesson experience, and just an overall business logic. It's not offensive. It's just honest. Maybe next time I'll keep my mouth shut. I thought some insight would be helpful. The drum industry is a business, bottom line.

You think I need to hear all this shit ?
I worked in the business for a very long time (probably before you were born) and got to know most of the main companies and players personally. I for one don't dig your know it all tone.
You say from the source and then from your teacher ... which is it ? No, wait I really don't want to know because judging from your tone I don't think you have all of the story. Look anyone who comes off telling others (who he doesn't even know) "Bottom line is ... etc" is going to come across as pompous, ill informed, immature and arrogant. And .... Thank God the industry is not only a business. If everyone was to follow the standard business model, the drumming industry would be a very boring place.
All i'm suggesting is to take a real honest look at the situation here. You are talking to people who know the guy, have worked with or for the guy and all facets of the industry and yet you insist on knowing something that we all don't.
I really don't want to argue or even continue this. I think we both have better things to do.
Besides shouldn't we both be practising !
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am

I wish I could practice. Groober. I know the "guys" too. Not the guy, the guys. The people in this forum that are on the inside know what I'm talking about. I just thought I would share. Not ill informed, arrogant? Maybe because I have real info. Immature, after re-reading I read nothing immature. My apologies again. I don't know it all, but my confidence in this case comes from the mouths of those we all know and love in drumming. Also, it's common sense. Why would Dave Weckl help a Japanese company sell drums? Because he loves the sound? Come on...
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 am

I think we need a dose of Josiah in this thread at this point. Hahahaha

Return to “Drumming Chat”