Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

mcraeh

Re: Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Postby mcraeh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 am

question about yamaha's. i upgraded my maple customs ( early 90's kit) a while back by installing the yess mounts. not sure that was the greatest thing to do, thinking of putting them back how they were. guess i will have some holes, anyone know if that will affect the sound etc..?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:58 am

Why don't you like the YESS mounts?
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 am

Isn't "Made in China" a polite way of saying "Made in Taiwan" ?
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 am

One thing I really like about Yamaha are the tom mounts. They don't shake all over the place when you hit them. Resonance doesn't seem to be lost as much as people tend to argue. I can't tell a difference. Maybe if you mic it up in some bad ass studio and A/B the two types of mounts. But, for the most part, I doubt theres a big enough difference to really matter in the scheme of things.
Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 am

I've had problems with YESS mounts on both Yamaha kits I've owned. Even my guitar player heard a difference.

I've done a good deal of research on this topic. It seems that some people either have a problem or they don't. More likely, some either hear the sustain robbing qualities YESS mounts make or they don't.

I did discover a way of getting a little more performance out of my toms by removing the split ring washer on the tom mount inside of the shell. It was noticeable. Like 25% noticeably better.

I wonder if the newer YESS II is an improvement over its predecessor due to their being 4 points of shell contact instead of two?

My .02
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:57 am

Joe Nocella wrote:I wonder if the newer YESS II is an improvement over its predecessor due to their being 4 points of shell contact instead of two?

I think there are only three points of contact.

I like the original YESS, but it's far from perfect. I think Ludwig's new mount is worth looking into. Tama's new mount is interesting, but that bumper thing looks awkward.

I guess I just prefer mounting right onto the shell.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 am

Ludwig's new mount definitely looks interesting but I'm with you Paul - I think I prefer the mount on the shell too - I hate the drum shaking and the limitations from some of the other mounts.
mcraeh

Postby mcraeh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 am

i like the yess mounts. the issue i am having is really my own fault. i had the original kit 10, 12, 13 and 15 hanging 20x16 bd, with the 10 and 12 on the bass drum with no yess mounts. i got a 12 inch std size off ebay with yess mounts, so i decided to put the yess on my 10 inch tom more to match it. its fine, but i am noticing i drilled a crooked. also, the badges are in different places etc..guess i am thinking i would just like em all back how they are supposed to be, with now, 2 lil holes i guess i can deal with. i suck at drilling...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Back to the China thing. Tama make their drums in China and the quality is top notch. It´s all about QC.
The thing about Mapex, IMO, is they kind of lack class. Oversized badges, ugly lugs, bulky hardware...

This used to came stock with a Mapex kit... WTF? http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/wieland/gregg.jpg
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Back to the China thing. Tama make their drums in China and the quality is top notch. It´s all about QC.

Tama built their own factory in China, and they spent two years getting the shells up to snuff before releasing any to the public.

Return to “Drumming Chat”