Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Julián Fernández

Re: Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 am

Rodge wrote:Guys, I really think that it's the drummer not the drums, if you're good, you'll always be good whatever the drums played.
I do think that cymbals and drum heads are important, but if you know how to hit a drums, then bingo.

So true, but hardware is what separate good from great...
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 am

Yamaha split from Sakae, the company which made Yamahas drums for 30 plus years. Yamaha drums are now made in china .
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Which translates into every Ebay auction for pre-2013 Yamaha drums soon including some variation of "When Yamaha was made in Japan" and a price bump.
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Rodge wrote:Guys, I really think that it's the drummer not the drums, if you're good, you'll always be good whatever the drums played.
I do think that cymbals and drum heads are important, but if you know how to hit a drums, then bingo.

That's exactly what I think too.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:56 pm

>>>

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Japan. China. As long as the quality is still there. It be news if they made their drums on let's say Mars or Mercury. I'm sure labor laws there are a bitch!
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Rodge already beat me to it.

willyz wrote: Gregg B always sounds good.

That's 'cause he's good. He can play and tune a drum. Anyone that's talented can play on any decent kit and sound good.

but like the other guy said, playing drums is an experience. You don't want to be fighting a stand or fiddling around with some stupid little part every time you play.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Regardless of how good the drums may sound and if they keep the same standard of quality, "Made in China" seriously devalues the Yamaha name in consumer minds. There's a stereotype associated with "Made in China" and I can't believe anyone in the R&D would think this is a good move. Maybe they have a marketing ploy planned to boost confidence and somehow save face. There's a lot of backlash on the internet in various forums and comments on youtube videos really protesting the move. Even the promo ad for the live customs is weird. It's like I don't believe the artists that are playing the drums and what they're saying, especially Weckl. I wonder if this is really the reason behind artists leaving Yamaha lately...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 am

China is changing, so people who are aware should consider changing their attitudes as well.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 am

there's a quality difference between Yamaha's new drums and the drums Sakae is offering. Had a chance to check the Sakae drums out and they sound great, classic finishes you've seen on certain Yamaha offerings.

Return to “Drumming Chat”