Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

bstocky

Re: Russ Miller leaves Yamaha- Yamaha moving to China?

Postby bstocky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 am

Drumsmith. Ronn Dunnett's place.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 am

willyz wrote:...don't know much about this, but I've been reading/hearing various rumors about Yamaha moving production to China?

Also, Russ Miller has gone to Mapex (!)? Wonder if anyone else has left Yamaha?

I saw Russ Miller in a master class about 15 years ago. He's a very versatile musician and a rock solid studio drummer. As for his jump from Yamaha to Mapex, it makes no sense to me, other than if he was paid enough to induce the jump. IMO, Yamaha build quality is at a completely different level than Mapex, even though, it is my understanding that Yamaha hardware has been made in China for a while now.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:http://www.chinasucks.net/

http://www.chinasucks.net/chinas-treatment-of-laborers/

U.S. Based Companies Object

In a particularly business-like maneuver, many U.S. based multi-national companies have fought proposed Chinese legislation to protect workers’ rights. They have found China to be far too profitable to be changed by unions and other organized labor movements. Wal-Mart, UPS, Microsoft, Nike, AT&T, Intel, and even Google were among the culprits that actively lobbied against these reforms. Nonetheless, the Chinese government has been reluctant to change much so long as their economy remains robust. Increasing workers’ rights would increase the cost of goods and make them less competitive.

Labor Rights in China Moving Forward

The horizon for Chinese workers does not look good. So long as American big-business and Chinese government officials are controlling the money and the politics, there will be no respite for Chinese workers. China is growing too fast for the Communist party to allow any disruptions. The increase in the Chinese middle class has already made the country less competitive. Chinese treatment of laborers has been poor for many years and it does not look like it will let up anytime soon. Organized Chinese labor is making some inroads, but overall it seems that a glimmer of hope is far in the distance.

http://www.chinasucks.net/animal-cruelty-in-china/

http://www.chinasucks.net/organ-trade-in-china/

The long term goal is to reduce the cost of U.S. labor to be competitive with Chinese, Indian, etc., labor. U.S. hostility to laber, especially organized labor, is no accident.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am

Old Pit Guy wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:http://www.chinasucks.net/

http://www.chinasucks.net/chinas-treatment-of-laborers/

U.S. Based Companies Object

In a particularly business-like maneuver, many U.S. based multi-national companies have fought proposed Chinese legislation to protect workers’ rights. They have found China to be far too profitable to be changed by unions and other organized labor movements. Wal-Mart, UPS, Microsoft, Nike, AT&T, Intel, and even Google were among the culprits that actively lobbied against these reforms. Nonetheless, the Chinese government has been reluctant to change much so long as their economy remains robust. Increasing workers’ rights would increase the cost of goods and make them less competitive.

Labor Rights in China Moving Forward

The horizon for Chinese workers does not look good. So long as American big-business and Chinese government officials are controlling the money and the politics, there will be no respite for Chinese workers. China is growing too fast for the Communist party to allow any disruptions. The increase in the Chinese middle class has already made the country less competitive. Chinese treatment of laborers has been poor for many years and it does not look like it will let up anytime soon. Organized Chinese labor is making some inroads, but overall it seems that a glimmer of hope is far in the distance.

http://www.chinasucks.net/animal-cruelty-in-china/

http://www.chinasucks.net/organ-trade-in-china/

The Asian middle-class growth projections are starting. A story Dan Rather did recently tossed some numbers around that I had to check out, and it's true.

For the first time in history, a truly global middle class is emerging. By 2030, it will more than double in size, from 2 billion today to 4.9 billion. Brookings Institution scholar Homi Kharas estimates that the European and American middle classes will shrink from 50 percent of the total to just 22 percent. Rapid growth in China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Malaysia will cause Asia’s share of the new middle to more than double from its current 30%. By 2030, Asia will host 64% of the global middle class and account for over 40% of global middle-class consumption.

http://www.reuters.com/middle-class-infographic

Dan Rather is wearing blinders. All of this depends on how you define middle class. If you define middle class as someone who can own their own home, raise and educate a family on a skilled laborer's wages, they way it was in the heyday of organized labor, as middle class, that isn't going to happen in our lifetimes. The commercial forces, who's interest is in the reduction of the cost of labor, are in control of government, every branch, at every level, in every industrial country.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

Henry II wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:
The Asian middle-class growth projections are starting. A story Dan Rather did recently tossed some numbers around that I had to check out, and it's true.

For the first time in history, a truly global middle class is emerging. By 2030, it will more than double in size, from 2 billion today to 4.9 billion. Brookings Institution scholar Homi Kharas estimates that the European and American middle classes will shrink from 50 percent of the total to just 22 percent. Rapid growth in China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Malaysia will cause Asia’s share of the new middle to more than double from its current 30%. By 2030, Asia will host 64% of the global middle class and account for over 40% of global middle-class consumption.

http://www.reuters.com/middle-class-infographic

Dan Rather is wearing blinders. All of this depends on how you define middle class. If you define middle class as someone who can own their own home, raise and educate a family on a skilled laborer's wages, they way it was in the heyday of organized labor, as middle class, that isn't going to happen in our lifetimes. The commercial forces, who's interest is in the reduction of the cost of labor, are in control of government, every branch, at every level, in every industrial country.

Rather is old-school and marginalized to a little corner of cable-tv, so in that regard, yeah, I suppose there's a blinder element of sorts.

Doesn't change the projections, which have nothing to do with Rather and are echoed and pretty much accepted as fact.

Middle class, I would think, becomes a bit of a sliding scale. We can't use 1950s American middle class as a standardized metric. Not in this day and age.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with your take on the state of affairs. I just wanted to point out there's possibly more to moving companies to Asia than cheap un-orgainized labor. If the markets are emerging there then it would make dollars and sense to have the means of production there too.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am

At this point in time, the only Yamaha drums being made in our factory in China are the new Live Customs. This is indeed a Yamaha factory, built from the ground up. They have been making pianos there for about eleven years, making horns and woodwinds for several, and all marching drums for almost a year. Sakae is still making Absolute, RC, Club Custom, and Oak Custom. They are also making their own branded drums on the same machinery that Yamaha gave them in order to boost their production numbers at the factory. Oak Custom production will cease shortly because they are replaced by Live Custom. These drums are pure Yamaha. Staggered Diagonal Seam, Air Seal System. This new kit has several upgrades ove Oak Custom, at a more affordable price. Live Custom looks and sounds amazing. As consumers get more and more price driven, that middle price point under 2K is crucial. The imbalance of the value of the dollar vs the yen adds $1000 to the street price of an Absolute 5pc kit right now. There just aren't enough people out there able to pay an extra grand for a kit right now.

Everyone has been training in the factory for a long time, by Yamaha staff in all aspects of how we make our drums and QC standards. The factory is ISO14001 certified for environmental and efficiency standards, they have gourmet chefs cooking in the cafeteria, covered parking(that's a big perk in that climate with everyone riding those little scooters to work).

Yamaha is known for quality and for treating their employees very well. That has not changed in this factory. I heard someone say 'it's not the country of origin that matters, it's the company of origin". In an ever widening global economy, that statement rings true. One of our high profile artists(who is very popular here) said that he doesn't care if they're made on Mars as long as they sound great. He's got some of the most critical ears in the industry, and has a kit in the studio now and loves them.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

This is a good thing. The more this happens, the better for Chinese workers, and the better for everyone worldwide. It gets harder and harder to hide injustice when more eyes are focused on what you're doing.

I remember when "made in Japan" was a bad thing. Pretty soon "made in China" will be a sign of quality. I guess Africa is the last frontier for cheap labor now.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:This is a good thing. The more this happens, the better for Chinese workers, and the better for everyone worldwide. It gets harder and harder to hide injustice when more eyes are focused on what you're doing.

I remember when "made in Japan" was a bad thing. Pretty soon "made in China" will be a sign of quality. I guess Africa is the last frontier for cheap labor now.

Perhaps the USA is the last frontier for slave labor. Karma is a cruel mistress.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:Perhaps the USA is the last frontier for slave labor. Karma is a cruel mistress.

Oooh! I hadn't thought of that. You might be right.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 am

Jim, i have a question. with Sakae making drums under their own name, doesn't that come off as a conflict for Yamaha at all? just curious

Return to “Drumming Chat”