Hey Gavin Harrison, how did you like NAMM?

Gavin Harrison

Re: Hey Gavin Harrison, how did you like NAMM?

Postby Gavin Harrison » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 pm

For those of you in Euro-land here's a pretty good indication of the street prices http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.htm ... an&x=0&y=0

As far as I know in the States it's like this:

$699 12" Standard version (no case and only the steel wires) + dampening rings and tuning keys
$799 12" Premium version including case and extra snare wires + dampening rings and tuning keys
$899 14" Standard
$999 14" Premium

but please check because some shops might be doing further discounts.

cheers
Gavin
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 pm

A grand for the 14. Ouch. I can buy a bunch of snare drums with a thousand bucks. I'm sure it's an amazing snare drum. Like Rodge said in another topic. It's not the drum, it's the drummer.

It's out of reach price wise. Hope it sells well. Sonar put outs great stuff. Wish I had the scratch for this drum.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 am

Gavin Harrison wrote:For those of you in Euro-land here's a pretty good indication of the street prices http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.htm ... an&x=0&y=0

As far as I know in the States it's like this:

$699 12" Standard version (no case and only the steel wires) + dampening rings and tuning keys
$799 12" Premium version including case and extra snare wires + dampening rings and tuning keys
$899 14" Standard
$999 14" Premium

but please check because some shops might be doing further discounts.

cheers
Gavin

Thats actually not bad pricing as most shops will of course do some sort of a deal.

Sadly this will take a while to be released in Australia, love to get my hands on one.
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 am

It has a very special almost flat hoop on the top head on the snare.
Is it still easy with rimshots?

Janne Jansson
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 am

In Europe the snare has a fair price....
Would not stop me....

Janne Jansson
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 am

I can only find them onsale in Europe. My wife has already asked me how much this will set us back. Haha. I'm usually not into things that could fall into the gimmick category i.e changable cams, tuning "systems", blah blah blah. But the ammenities to this snare seem very logical and relevant including the different bearing edges. I also dig the birch shell.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 pm

I bet the 14" sounds similar to Gavin's Recording Custom he's used for years. Actually, if Gavin reads this I'd LOVE to know how the new drums compare sound wise to his Yamaha Recording Custom and his old Sonor 12" snare.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 am

bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 am

I'll have to fiddle with the strainer before I'd buy them but that's a reasonable price. Maybe I'll sell my Craviotto to buy these.
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 am

janne jansson wrote:It has a very special almost flat hoop on the top head on the snare.
Is it still easy with rimshots?

Rimshots are extra nice on that rim. It feels like there's more in contact with the stick.

bstocky wrote:I bet the 14" sounds similar to Gavin's Recording Custom he's used for years. Actually, if Gavin reads this I'd LOVE to know how the new drums compare sound wise to his Yamaha Recording Custom and his old Sonor 12" snare.

Yes I used that old RC as the blue print for this new snare and in many ways it sounds the same - BUT I think the new one is a big improvement. The RC has a rounded bearing edge on the bottom and NO snare bed at all. The new Sonor one has a sharp 45 degree bearing edge on the bottom and a very accurate machine cut snare bed. The throw off on the Yamaha is pretty nasty and in the 'off' position the snare wires still hit the bottom head. The new Sonor throw off is the best I've ever seen - it's a masterpiece of modern engineering.

I think that JustDrums link is to the 14" version without the extra wires and hardcase. What they call the standard edition.

cheers
Gavin

Return to “Drumming Chat”