Carter McLean

Gaddabout

Re: Carter McLean

Postby Gaddabout » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 pm

I really liked the first clip. He seems like he owns his stuff, great confidence and touch.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:30 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:07 pm

I despise long tension rods. Too easy to bang them and bend them. Drums sound really nice though.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:I despise long tension rods. Too easy to bang them and bend them.

+10.

The industry in North America wobbles back and forth, often at odds with form and function. Some designs go away for a reason. Then they are painfully brought back to life to ride a wave, one that usually saves a manufacturer money or positions them to compete with another who found success doing the same thing.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:I despise long tension rods. Too easy to bang them and bend them.

+10.

The industry in North America wobbles back and forth, often at odds with form and function. Some designs go away for a reason. Then they are painfully brought back to life to ride a wave, one that usually saves a manufacturer money or positions them to compete with another who found success doing the same thing.

My drum building buddy and I almost constantly talk about how Gretsch really didn't "intend" their Great Grestch sound...it was almost a happy accident it worked and sounded as good as it did. I mean that the Gum wood used in the core of their custom shells was most likely used as filler wood, not as a secret "tone wood". Same goes for the five lug patterns on the small toms...that saves two cast lugs with every drum, and that saves money! haha
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Gretsch invented the ply drum shell to solve the common issue of shells that were "out of round". Plenty of other companies make drums that sound great. It's just a matter of preference. Other companies, like Ludwig and Slinglerand, also used cheap wood. And they used whatever was available. No one cared about what type of wood was used. People only cared about how the drums sounded (and looked). The hyper analytical bullshit that permeates drum geeks now is a relatively new phenomenon.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I also didn't know that Slingerland Radio Kings were a precedent to Gretsch's 30 degree edge...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:20 am

"This was the prototype for an amazing idea that Ronn Dunnett had. The top edge of the drum is flanged and the bottom is a straight Dunnett edge. This drum is a beast and can do anything. WELL. Enjoy."

>>>

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:25 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”