Reading against the quarter note

chris perra

Re: Reading against the quarter note

Postby chris perra » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Mark, what I meant by that is that each figure relates to the quarter note in a way that the rhythm is understood as a series of sounds "rooted" to the invisible but felt quarter note... Am I making any sense?

Ok, let´s try something else. Some Messiaen. How hard is for you guys to read this rhythm?

http://anglicanorganistjohn.com/Messiea ... le%203.jpg

That´s a good example of how reading "against" any note value is almost impossible in some cases... Any thoughts?

That looks like bad writing to me.. Very old school.. It's kinda weird that someone would make a bar of 31/16..

I'd write it out like this..

But it you get that to sight read.. good luck...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 am

Good advice from all so far as I have also been trying to improve my reading skill. I have also been confused by that term "reading against the quarter note". Gary Chester uses it in 'New Breed' and I'm not sure I fully understand this bit of instruction: "When you read these systems in practice, try to read across as you would sight read a page of music – not up and down. By this I mean that most people relate each note to where it falls in relation to the quarter note. It is good to feel this when you sing but I do not recommend trying to read against the quarter."
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am

Ill give it a whack.

Picture a trumpet part, the trumpet player may be more concerned with the notes than the absolute rhythm.

He migth be talking about flow and smoothness. If we concern ourselves with the quarter and not the entire phrase, we might play "to the quarter" rather than the phrase.

thats what I think he means, if he didnt, then thats what it means to me! :o)
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

chris perra wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Mark, what I meant by that is that each figure relates to the quarter note in a way that the rhythm is understood as a series of sounds "rooted" to the invisible but felt quarter note... Am I making any sense?

Ok, let´s try something else. Some Messiaen. How hard is for you guys to read this rhythm?

http://anglicanorganistjohn.com/Messiea ... le%203.jpg

That´s a good example of how reading "against" any note value is almost impossible in some cases... Any thoughts?

That looks like bad writing to me.. Very old school.. It's kinda weird that someone would make a bar of 31/16..

I'd write it out like this..

But it you get that to sight read.. good luck...

Even as is, if you're familiar with the parts, the whole is less complex. I think an overly macro perspective to reading makes things like that daunting.
I see it in groups like 3+3+8+2.5+3 with the 2.5 being 5 16ths, which is what throws this off an eight if you're trying to tap your foot to it.
first group of 3 is like a simple hemiola thing, then there's a 5 stroke, a 7 stroke, then 5 16ths, and 3 8ths... easy breezy. Devote the processor to the 5 16ths, cause I guarantee you've played the other rhythms hundreds if not thousands of times.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

This is turning into great discussion...

How about this... Real simple stuff, but again, shifting the quarter note triplet one eighth note makes my whole way of reading obsolete... How hard is for you guys read something like this?
I guess you could treat it like 3/8 + 2/4 + 1/8? I feel that thinking that way (in this particular example) make easier thing much complicated...
I´m trying to see if there´s a way to percieve note values regardless the location in the bar or the relationship to the pulse... That´s why Messiaen is a good example; he used to write without any time signatures, making it imposible to "think" about a steady value as a pulse through the whole piece (or even passage).

What do you think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:14 pm

About the whole "reading against..." thing (I knew I didn´t came up with that term... I remember the Gary Chester quote now!):

The way Chris transcribed the snippet is what I would call RATQN... The way DeepFried suggested to think about is -perhaps- the way I think I need to explore when it comes to phrasing or understanding complex (and not so complex) rhythms (Good remark on the use of the word Phrase, Mark!).
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:This is turning into great discussion...

How about this... Real simple stuff, but again, shifting the quarter note triplet one eighth note makes my whole way of reading obsolete... How hard is for you guys read something like this?
I guess you could treat it like 3/8 + 2/4 + 1/8? I feel that thinking that way (in this particular example) make easier thing much complicated...
I´m trying to see if there´s a way to percieve note values regardless the location in the bar or the relationship to the pulse... That´s why Messiaen is a good example; he used to write without any time signatures, making it imposible to "think" about a steady value as a pulse through the whole piece (or even passage).

What do you think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I feel like you can't get so tied into where something is, cause everything is relative. I once played while on a psychonautic substance previously enjoyed by people in the 50's and 60's... During this experience I had an epiphany about time. I realized instead of time being a bunch of pieces put together that it was a tether that you slide down, a constant flow, and that temple was the angle at which it was strung. I then knew that I was just digitizing it myself, but in reality it was devoid of real division.

If you can feel an eight note, you can double that feeling. My hack on quaternote triplets is to break it into eightnote triplets and play every one out of every two eight note tiplets, this can also be doubled into playing one out of every four sixteenth note triplets. You can always find some reference in what you're playing to relate another seemingly abstract rhythm too, and in the end it's all riding the same large wave.

If you can feel the bar as a whole you can cut it up into whatever, trust me ask my friends what I do to them on our church gig when we're goofing off. No matter what it's your point of reference that matters most and if you stay tuned into that, you'll be golden.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 pm

chris perra wrote:I use the method of changing your counting based on what time signature it is.

If in 4/4 the quarter note gets the number count..... 8ths get the +'s 16th e+a's ect
If in 9/8 the eighth note gets the number count .....16ths get the +'s... ect
If in 5'16 the sixteenth notes get the number count......ect

if 4/2 ect still use quarter note counts...

Chris,
I'm with you up until that last line. Do you mean that if you see a time sig of 4/2 (where the half note would get the pulse) you are still counting the quarter notes as the pulse?

Julian,
Yes the use of the word "phrase" kills me these days. If I see or hear one more person write/say (just because they think it sounds cool, or they are trying to sound "intellectual") "Dude, his phrasing is sick!" I think I might get homicidal.

One more thing that gets me about the overall musical language, is the MANY formal uses of the word "beat." So I have started to substitute different words for it, (groove, pattern, pulse, etc..) especially when teaching younger people.

BUT Back on point (sorry.)

Julian you ask this, "I´m trying to see if there´s a way to percieve note values regardless the location in the bar or the relationship to the pulse..."

My initial thinking is this. No. A note value is really determined by what comes next, that determines the note value (ie. space the notes takes up.) And THAT'S really where the pulse is, in the spaces! So if you separate "attacks" (where the note begins) from space, it would seem that you would lose/alter the sense of pulse (or maybe even meter.) Which is possibly what Messiaen was going for? Or am I completely misunderstanding you?

Check this out. Try starting to play your given rhythmic idea on the last eighth note, and notice what that does to how you feel the line/phrase. Same effect as if you (for example) start a paradiddle on & or a (or play sixteenth notes in a five note grouping.) Offsetting "normal" ideas to create across the beat/bar (interesting) phrases. So maybe your question is, "When I have to read this (offset ideas as explained above) how does that affect my perception of the pulse?"

I strongly agree with you when you say this, "I guess you could treat it like 3/8 + 2/4 + 1/8? I feel that thinking that way (in this particular example) make easier thing much complicated..."

I really think of that as subdividing the bar of 4/4, or (actual) phrasing. To read your example, I just conceptualize it as starting a rhythm on the & (which is what cuts the primary pulse in half.)

So aren't we really talking about the perceived difference between phrasing, subdividing, and reading here?

So it seems that your question might be, "When you "phrase" across the beat, does it alter how you think about (perceive) resolving the rhythmic line back to the beat? Which I would just answer, that it just delays the resolution point of the rhythm (ie. creates a longer phrase.) OR is it a question of where the pulse lies within the "across the beat" idea?

Interesting fact about the way that Messiaen notated, I didn't know that. It must've made rehearsals a bitch though! Any thoughts on how viewed the Messiaen? (Way off base, in the ballpark, in a different solar system?)

Regarding the Gary Chester connection. Was he referring to this when he was having you sing a pulse. Therefore, sometimes you might be playing an idea that felt "against" what you were singing (hence the phrase "reading against the quarter note.") I believe what he was doing here was having you play rhythms (lines) going "against" your verbal pulse to strengthen your internal sense of time.

IE. It was a excersise, not a methodology for reading, or deciphering vocabulary. Just a guess, it's been a loooong time since I dealt with the New Breed.

And yes, I agree, good discussion!
Are we getting closer???

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:52 am

Yup anything larger than a quarter note on the bottom/note type....the quarter note gets the number count...

And I agree with you timing or feeling the pulse or counting against the quarter ect.. is so that you have a reference point to things.. Something to resolve to ... You can count anything in any time signature or no time signature if you want to ..But obviously some countings work better as far as them being easier to feel and digest.

To Msg's point, as soon as you notate a note be it a 16th or eighth ect you are defining a note length in relation to a bar, which has some subdivision/metronome relation to it.. It could be loosely felt or interpreted but the grid however liquid is still used as a starting point and some type of reference point.. I'm just so used to the standard way of doing things that seeing something like 1/4 note triplets starting on an e or and + instead of the downbeat would throw me for a loop..

Unless you get into free jazz crap.. All rules are out the window for that.. Do whatever you want and good luck writing it out haha...
John Blackburn

Postby John Blackburn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 pm

I think the 'against the quarter note' thing is in refference to reading the phrase rather than individual quarter note / whatever the pulse is rhythms. When were working on Independace stuff its easy to think of rhythms in that way if thats how your approaching the mechanics I guess, but when playing a phrase, youve got to read the phrase...

Return to “Drumming Chat”