Vinnie to play on Joe Satriani's new album...

Jim Richman

Re: Vinnie to play on Joe Satriani's new album...

Postby Jim Richman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:I believe that drums ARE part of the music, and they affect the feel and the sound of the whole ensemble. I´m curious to hear Vinnie in such setting and that´s why I´m looking foward to hear this... Plus it´s been a while since I heard Satriani and I´m open to a suprise...
Even if the drumming is supreme, the music can still be a pile of turds. :lol:
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 am

I guess Jie's stuff falls in the category of what many would consider well crafted instrumental pop songs. Hasn't really appealed to me since a short period around age 13.

Gimme some Landau any day instead.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:35 am

Hey Odd-Arne!
I know you played guitar before drums.
I was wondering if you know about a guitar forum on the net with pros chiming in and with a good degree of maturity/support and well managed?
I mean a HOD of guitar...8-)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:Hey Odd-Arne!
I know you played guitar before drums.
I was wondering if you know about a guitar forum on the net with pros chiming in and with a good degree of maturity/support and well managed?
I mean a HOD of guitar...8-)

Yeah, there's HRI. www.hugeracksinc.com started by a couple of Norwegian guys, with a strong Landau bias like this one has a strong Colaiuta bias. Lots of pros(Pete Thorn and Steve Stevens post regularly, even Luke posted few times), builders and some retailers hang there.

For a more gear oriented forum there's www.thegearpage.net A bit too much cork sniffing for my taste, but it's a good place to learn about new gear and also some tips on educational stuff. It's neatly divided into different sections. Tomo Fujita hangs there a lot.

Learning resources is a different thing, though. Much harder to find qualiy than it is on drums. As a teacher myself I'm mostly just annoyed by what I've seen. Learning songs, sure. Learning real information and how things work, not so much.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks!
Hugerack looks cool and gearpage is well organized.

Most guitar forums are gear/tone heavy. Gear threads can have millions of posts.
I’ve never been a drum gear whore neither will I be for guitar. Get a good instrument and a good amp, the rest is in your fingers.
I’m more interested in the actual music, stylistic features, impro philosophy, harmony concepts and playing techniques.
I agree, education is a mess on the internet.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:34 am

Check out this interview with Satriani... You can't help but smile while reading this ... :D

"Satch has high praise for Colaiuta, who has played with everyone from Frank Zappa to Sting to Jeff Beck, among others. "We had a phrase that my Pro Tools editor, Mike Boden, came up with: Lead Drummer," he says. "What happened was, we would go through all these takes, and it was so hard to pick the best one – each time, Vinnie provided a performance that was unique from beginning to end. The personality was a little bit different from take to take."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/joe-satriani-talks-about-band-chemistry-on-his-upcoming-album-unstoppable-momentum-572643

Return to “Drumming Chat”