Your personal heroes?

Kurtis

Re: Your personal heroes?

Postby Kurtis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:05 am

Love The Outsidement album. The three guys got together at lunch and wrote some tunes for their classes. Glad they recorded the live performance of those songs. Great tunes and awesome playing. Ralph's still got it.

french toast

Postby french toast » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:47 am

Atma Anur from Greg Howe

About 16 years ago I heard Atma w/Greg Howe.
Great Groove...

Tony Thompson from Live aid 1985
(~4:52)
Solid drumming!

langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 am

Tony Thunder Smith was a huge influence on me, I hear drums the same way he does. I used to play along to that live Beck/Hammer record a helluva lot. Cool grooves and a tight powerful sound, but with some sloppiness and bashing that wasn't too crazy, but almost out of control. Lots of odd times, but grooving.

Of course, Richard Bailey also played with Beck, and he was another guy who I played along to for hours and hours. Awesome fills. So creative.

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am

I forgot about Frank Briggs and Phil Maturano!

First time I saw them play I was speechless...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:26 am

+ 1 Phil Maturano.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 am

Lewis!

willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Kurtis wrote:Love The Outsidement album. The three guys got together at lunch and wrote some tunes for their classes. Glad they recorded the live performance of those songs. Great tunes and awesome playing. Ralph's still got it.

We called Ralph the Wizard for a reason. He and all the cats I studied with at LAMA are personal heroes of mine, obviously for their teaching efforts, but outside of the school they are amazing and legendary players.

Obvious choices for heroes include Vinnie, Weckl, Gadd, Gavin, Jeff Porcaro, Jojo, Tony Williams, etc.

Keith Carlock and Steve Jordan are huge with me too because of how much they work, their sound, and because they play the gigs I'd love to play (and of course, while Keith may display chops more than Steve Jordan, they both have a certain technical ability that I admire). I also have to give a major nod to our own Todd- he's a class act, respects people, is kind and honest, and is a MONSTER behind the kit, and I'm fortunate enough to call him a friend.

Being able to play is one thing- but being a great person adds so much when it comes to the apparent hero category.

I guess Holmes is okay too. :D
Got Blushda?
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:02 pm

My personal drumming hero is my first drum teacher, Steve Bagby, RIP.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

The Rick!

drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Outside of drumming, it would be my Dad. As for drummers, Gadd is my all time favorite when I get cornered to pick just one.....but there are so many. One that comes to mind is Rick Allen. To overcome the loss of an arm at such a young age when your career is flying so high, and have the curage and tenacity to find a way to work around it to me is heroic. Kudos to the band for stickig with him through it all as well.

Return to “Drumming Chat”