A serious & embarrasing one...

V4Vinnie

A serious & embarrasing one...

Postby V4Vinnie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 am

Hi gang, I know that this forum is special in every single way, even in support of one another. I've been having trouble with something that maybe one or two of you maybe have been experiencing, that thing called PROCRASTINATION. It has consumed my life little by little. I've start everything and never finish nothing.

In a drumming perspective I've been having trouble with completing a simple task as having a simple practice routine. For those of you that battle with this, any advice on how to overcome this shit?

More than ever, thanks.
circh bustom

Re: A serious & embarrasing one...

Postby circh bustom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 am

There are no tricks. No gimmicks. You either want to do something or you dont. Ihave found over the years that if I procrastinate about doing something that is supposed to be fun, deep down I dont want to do it at all. It's one thing to put off doing chores or even a crappy project at work. But when it comes to leisure activities, well as i said, you either want it or you don't. That could be just me, and not everyone.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am

You'll feel better once you get things done.

Edit: Today I was supposed to do the James Bond power circuit workout. I didn't want to do it. I did it and now I feel much better. I got it done and now I can move on to the next thing.
Do what you're supposed to do, you'll be happy you did.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 am

Nothing to be ashamed of...

There´s a couple of things that I found helpful. First, try to make some "drumming time" in your daily routine. Stick to it. If you don´t feel like playing, go and transcribe something or listen to an album without doing anything else. Doing it everyday makes al the difference imo.

Doing it at same time everyday helps; like, if it´s 9pm and you´re tired or pissed, doesn´t matter, drumming time is on and you have to leave anything you´re doing and switch to musical mode. Don´t second guess your commitment. Just do it.

Inspiration is key also. As soon as you start seeing little improvements more and more you´ll be waiting for your next practice session.

A good teacher is always, also, a good way to keep you inspired and fresh.

Don´t sweat it, the last thing you need is feel anguish about it.

Cheers!
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 am

Procrastination has to do with a few things...
Mostly a lack of pride and self worth.. In the sense that we do things in preparation to not have our pride and self worth questioned..

Not to say that you have a lack of self worth and pride in life in general.. but we practice so that when people hear us we do a good job. If you aren't in a situation that people will judge you after a performance you aren't going to need to feel like you have to practice.. there's no urgency... This is normal when you are an accomplished player that can handle anything you do day to day playing wise.. It's not until you are going to have to do something outside your comfort zone that you need to practice.. Or if you want to be perfect as a player that you practice to maintain higher excellence.

For me it comes with needing to accomplish something specific.. Like recording an album, or playing a song that is out of my reach.. But not only that but doing it so that others can hear it.. If no one else hears it.. There's not the drive needed to be diligent..

Being a musician at its core is about expressing yourself... But expressing yourself to a mirror doesn't cut it.. It's the validation of others that can keep us motivated.. Are those things happening in your life?.. Are you in situations that if you work hard will people notice or care?. Do you have pride in the fact that if you practice your ass off it will make a difference to you and others?.

If not,.. then procrastination can take over..

It's not like if you don't practice you are spineless and have no pride or self worth in life.. I don't mean that as a judgement on you as a person..

I just mean that the things that you think you should practice.. don't mean that much to you if you procrastinate... You don't lose any self worth or pride in yourself if you don't practice.. because you aren't in situations that will show that you worked on those things, ...or show that you didn't work on them.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

Get this book ASAP. It will blow your mind.
John Blackburn

Postby John Blackburn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey there,

Not serious, not embarassing...

First off everyone level of motivation to complete any task varies according to all sorts of things, phases...
Rather than worrying about the fact your not currently motivated to do something you love (Im presuming you do
you love it, or you wouldnt be 'a' signed up on here or 'b' able to make the contributions that you do)

- rather than worrying about it, work on your motivation level. Sit down and actually remember why your into
music, drumming, whatever. Remember times when you have enjoyed it, imagine being there again.

THEN!

Your going to do 5 mins practice. Any one activity. A groove, double stroke roll, transcribe a solo, whatever - but your only allowed
to do it for 5 mins.
Do it everyday for a week.

Of course, if you WANT to carry on after 5mins, you can... But thats not the mission, the mission is to manage 5mins.
EVERYONE can concentrate on something for 5mins.

Try that, i bet you find yourself doing more than 5 mins most days, but dont PLAN more than one 5 min session.
V4Vinnie

Postby V4Vinnie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Waow an honest "Thanks" to everyone, I will try everyone of the recomendations here. Thanks a lot...!!! Deeply appeciated.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm

I've been meaning to get that book. I just keep putting things off... :)
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Ron Kearns posted something the other day on FB that may be relevant: "practice is what you do when you want to get better."

This helps me focus when I get frustrated or sidetracked into what I'm already good at.

Return to “Drumming Chat”