Best and fastest way to learn how to read music(?)

littlegrooves

Re: Best and fastest way to learn how to read music(?)

Postby littlegrooves » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Riddim wrote:Along with all of the above, start transcribing. I'd pick a tune you might play on a gig, something simple. First lay out the form, then pencil in the main groove(s), and key events.

Writing is a good way to improve your reading, because as you write a given word or figure, it becomes part of your vocabulary and thus more easily recognized. You'll also gain more appreciation for clarity and conciseness.

+1
Brad Schlueter

Postby Brad Schlueter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 pm

I agree with Tombo 7/4 - the Perkins books are actually designed for the purpose and work better than many other "classic" texts. A teacher is recommended for a month or two until you get the hang of it. If you're self-taught it's possible there are some other issues a teacher may be able to help you with beyond reading.

Deciphering, translating and writing out beats you're currently playing can help too.
aka Vdrummer
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Ted Reed’s Syncopations has good studies for application to jazz, but the BIG problem is the quarter notes below all measures of all exercises.
I practiced a lot with this book partly because a study was actually part of the entrance audition at DC.
By reading it as is, you unconsciously reference every note you play visually to the quarter notes below.
It screws up everything when you actually have to play syncopated figures that don’t have that; it’s like notes floating in thin air and you’re searching for an anchor.
A teacher at DC had all of us put liquid paper or white tape to mask these notes. From experience, I recommend doing it if you want to use this book.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

We read music the same way that we read written words. While it is possible to do them phonetically, what is actually efficient is to learn the shapes of 'words' . The Ted Reed approach is good because you can start to learn specific shapes and work with them. Benny Greb's Alphabet approach is also good in this regard ... because its not really the alphabet he uses but really a list of commonly used words.

That being said, the best thing you can do is to do a chart every day. I knew many people who did this in school and they are far far better readers than me :D
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 am

drumpal wrote:Hey guys,

I've been playing drums for years, but don't know how to read music. What are your recommendations for learning to read music? I'd like to be able to read charts to do beat-oriented gigs (rock, country, gospel, etc.). Nothing too technical yet. Just to be able to play through songs (vocal music) I don't know or have never heard. I think it would help my employability. Are there any good videos or courses by drummers or for drummers that teach how to read for that kind of thing?

Thanks very much for any help.

I haven't read the whole thread, so, my apology if this is duplicative. First, when you refer to reading music, it's a big plus for all musicians to be able to read the notes and chord changes, but, as a drummer, I presume you mean reading rhythm. In that case, there are two related reading skills a drummer should have: (1) reading snare drum etudes, and (2) reading drum charts.

Snare drum etudes are snare solos typically written out in traditional marching music form in different time signatures (typically 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, 12/8) utilizing many of the drum rudiments, and are generally intended to be played exactly as written. The most important, helpful, tool that I can recommend when learning to read etudes is the use of a metronome when practicing/playing. If you can't read it with a metronome, you can't read it. Even if the suggested tempo is, say, 120 bpm, and you have to play at 50 bpm in order to comprehend what is written, do it. Your skill will progress based on the hours you put in to it. Snare drum etude books are abundant and are sometimes rated by levels of difficulty. Start off with lower levels. However, the best rhythm reading "method book" I'm aware of is "Modern Reading Text in 4/4 Time," by Louie Bellson and Gil Breines. Again, practice that with a metronome as well.

Drum chart reading is something else. A drum chart is typically a road map to the song form so that you know where you are in the song, and includes lots of "repeat signs" to indicate when you are just supposed to keep time, and actual rhythmic figures only in the parts of the song where the writer of the chart thinks that you should play a set up and kick or a fill, etc. It is interprative, not necessarily meant to be played exactly as written. The best drum chart reading method book I'm aware of is "Chart Reading Workbook for Drummers," by Bobby Gabriele. His concise, easy to understand explanations of the drummers role and how to interpret and play drum charts is the best I've ever seen. It comes with about 16 practice charts in 4/4 and 3/4 time, that increase in difficulty, and a play along CD.

Hope that helps.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
drumpal

Postby drumpal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks very much guys. I'm looking into getting a teacher, and checking out some of your suggestions (books).

Thanks again.

Return to “Drumming Chat”