Evolution of a Drum Solo

circh bustom

Re: Evolution of a Drum Solo

Postby circh bustom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 am

I have to agree with Gretsch-o-rama. My favorite of all your solos was #14(I think). The last of your freeform solos with your reg bass player. I was a bit disappointed seeing you go back to your structure solo. Not that it wasnt good. It just always seemed forced. A few questions though, is this your only solo spot of the night? Were you given any guidelines by the leader?
joecrabtree

Postby joecrabtree » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:55 pm

This is my only solo spot. I can essentially do what I want, but we go back into the song so I'm staying in time.

I never really know what's going to happen. Sometimes, even if I intend to just "go for it" I end up coming out with the same old stuff. If you think about it, that's the most likely scenario. I'm unlikely to surprise myself with something amazing that I've never done before.

What I find is that I have ideas and I realise I'm either not able to execute them, or not confident enough that I'll pull them off. That makes me want to get in the practise room to try them out. When I've done that in the past I often find that I really can't pull them off.

So, in answer to gretsh-o-rama, getting past myself and pushing my own boundaries often results in a complete mess. I have to decide when the time comes whether or not I'm going to risk it. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 am

Joe. John Stevenson here. Good to see you on here. Probably don't remember me....but I think I might have turned you onto this board a long time ago.

Anywho.....

I didn't get a chance to listen to your solo stuff. Right now I'm in the Philippines getting married :D

But I can totally relate to what you're saying here. I've always just gone for it. Yes, I know....probably not the smartest thing to do on a working mans gig. But, with your playing talents....I can't imagine that anybody but maybe the trained ears of fellow band members might realize you flubbed something (or a lot of something....lol!). But who cares.

I remember what a good friend of mine told me a long time ago whom was really into Gadd. He always said, hum the melody of the tune you're soloing to. Internalize the melody and song/notation structure to the point of reflex. From there, a trans state is possible where some surprising things can happen.

I used to record myself some 27-30 years ago and listen to my soloing over music (which really sucked). But, the more I practiced, and the more I internalized, and then allowed myself to use my memory muscle.....THATS when I'd pull something off like, "whoa! Where did that come from". In other words....there were those few moments of where I started playing what I was thinking....rather thinking about what I was playing.

Hasn't happened in a long time to me because I hardly ever get a chance to play anymore (hoping to change that really soon). But, I think that's where the best solo's come from. Chops are chops. And you've either got them or you don't. But being able to express yourself "musically", almost in an orchestrated fashion comes from somebody with the BIG brain on his head. People like that make you walk away from hearing a solo going, "wow....that guy just took me on a journey or told me a story".

Thats the e-ticket in my opinion.

Hope alls well brutha.

John
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:01 am

Hey Joe, I've admired your clean, precise playing from your past instructional videos. It's also great to hear your description of your approach to soloing. Your annotations that explain your thought process during the solos is very effective. Great job with that. I think most non-straight ahead jazz drummers approach solos in a similar manner, most of the time.

What I'd like to know is, do you ever find that the music inspires you to just play an extension of what you feel from the music without thinking about it?
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
joecrabtree

Postby joecrabtree » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 pm

John, of course I remember you. Congratulations :)

Henry, in answer to your question... I don't know.

The last few solos I did were more free flowing. The fact that I wasn't rushing and trying to fit lots in meant ideas were allowed to come out more easily. Since the vamp is a 2 bar loop it doesn't inspire me to play much. I use the rhythmic structure and see what ideas come out, then some of the things I play inspire other things.

Billy Ward has a cool idea about letting your sticks just fall on the drums then using whatever comes out as inspiration for what you play next.

Certainly the newer riff I've been soloing over has inspired me more than the original riff I used to solo over.

Return to “Drumming Chat”