Check out the track I recorded recently!

willyz

Check out the track I recorded recently!

Postby willyz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:30 pm

http://soundcloud.com/laura-duncan-music/phoenix

First of anything since being back in LA. We'll see what direction the project goes in and if it becomes financially viable as well as continuing to be rewarding musically. At this point this is a band and there's no money involved.

This was the third of three takes- I think the mix could have been better, but oh well.

Gear used:

14x6.5 vintage Ludwig Supraphonic (with a super gnarly thick die cast hoop on the batter side)
Tama Starclassic Performer (birch): 12x9, 16x16, 22x18
Sabain 16" & 18" Evolution Crashes, 14" AAX Stage hats, 20" HH Duo Ride, 20" HHX Chinese

As always, I'm open to and welcome your thoughts. Cheers!
Got Blushda?
Jim Richman

Re: Check out the track I recorded recently!

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 am

Could not take the screaming. No dynamics on the vocals, and the pitches were kinda funky. If you are playing in The Laura Duncan Band for free, then she has the best band members.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 am

If I were producing this...lol

I kinda of like the quirky vocals with the weird intervals...but there was too much of that. I would tell her to tone it down a smidge. A little goes a long way - pick her spots to expand. I know it's her band and everything - but she needs the band to elevate the music...you just can't turn her up and expect the music to this powerhouse with her vocal only. IMHO.

The mix was way off...and this is probably a rough mix I'm assuming. The drums were way too low in the mix. The drums were actually quieter than anything else. The song actually loses its aggressivness because of this. If all the instuments were turned up, then the blaring vocal could simmer better and the song could be powerful. I mean, this particular song is riff-rock - let's hear the riffs.

I like the idea's for the drumming - the tom figures and the snare roll, nice touch. Again with the mix - those tom figures should be very prevelant. I liked the snare tone. Good job!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am

good job Willy. the tom tom part you are playing on the verses before the long snare roll comes in could use more flow. needs more tom tom tribal movement. it was sparse. that part didn't flow and keep things moving. rest of the drum part was just right. shame the mix isn't all that.

that long snare drum roll were those doubles? mix is a tad muddy.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:51 am

Hey guys, I'm just the drummer! :D

I had no control of the mix, nor do I really have any say since none of my money was involved, nor am I getting paid. For the same reasons I'm keeping my mouth shut and attempting to keep my 'producer' hat off- it's really not my place and this is currently my only outlet for playing.

...how long the above will be the case? I'm not sure.
Got Blushda?
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am

Kurtis- she wanted sparse in that bit. I think it may work better if the mix was improved.
Got Blushda?
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:02 am

Cool song! And the singer is fantastic!

it's interesting that this song has nothing which could be called verse per se. That part including toms Kurtis spoke about has much more "bridgey" feel to it, something that would come in between a verse and chorus and what contributes to it is exactly what Kurtis meant, which is that less of flow, something that indicates that a new thing is about to happen. Maybe some recurring hihat pattern would add a bit more 'stability' to it, but that part would have to be a bit longer too. Cool, solid drumming still!

my 2 cents...
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am

Funny you mentioned that, because I was a bit baffled by the structure when learning the tune.

Also, you can't really hear it in that section, but I'm sloshing quarter notes with my left foot on the hats.
Got Blushda?
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 am

I think you would sound better with out them lol. It just seems that your kick drum was ahead of the riff. The 2 & 4 were on, but the kick made it feel rushed in my opinion. Could just be my ears. Other than that the drums sound great and the tom thing is cool.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I think she sounds good/fairly original/interesting. She's a Tori Amos, Bjork, Feist, Florence and the Machine type singer playing with cliche rock musicians. Whoever is in charge of the music doesn't get it. She needs to work with musicians that think outside of the box not people that try to put her in one.

and the mix is horrible. Someone is either dumb, lazy or deaf.
Last edited by bstocky on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”