Steve Holmes vids

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Steve Holmes vids

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks a lot Joe!
Because its been part of the vocabulary for so long it comes up a bit less often I suppose. I just wanted to take the opportunity to clarify some things and expand on some of what I felt was important to mention. It's a fun topic!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:46 am

It's funny how that short little lick really became such a thing. All of these guys were massive Tony fans, I imagine this was something they were able to pick up and had fun with it.

Now everybody's using your name. Lots of copycat lessons, much like the little 6-stroke roll thing John Riley did at Modern Drummer Festival based on Vinnie's Chaka Khan sound check.

I love all the powerful flam stuff Vinnie does. As som many other things he's sort of a bridge from the old jazz guys into a louder modern rock influenced way, but still keep much of what made that special, bringing some finesse and human phrasing, not just a bunch of loud singles.

I actually put on Nefertiti on the drive back Drum Camp because of your vid. It's been a loooooong time.

Sticking to the plan of not practicing much til New Years, but sitting down and doing some flam drag work is fine.

I'll probably do a lesson at some point. Gonna do a few more with Gary on skype and probably go see Erik for a bit for different stuff first, though.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 am

kit & cymbals sound superb...cool stuff Steve
NRA Life member

Return to “Drumming Chat”