Steve Holmes vids

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Steve Holmes vids

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:35 am

Embeded:

Or watch in HD on directly on YT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1peAYMWNiY

The time limit of my videos was increased recently so this one is 20 minutes. This is the 32nd note paradidle stuff I've been working on for a while now. There's 5 examples and instead of saying the sticking in the video, I thought I would do a transcription for folks instead:
http://www.houseofdrumming.com/steve_ho ... rcises.pdf <Thanks to Sammy J Watson aka Drumdawg for making this for me!!!!!

I like how this one came out. I hope folks enjoy it, and maybe get something out of it. Please provide feedback, bad or good!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: New video lesson: 32nd note phrasing

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02 am

Just noticed I alter the sticking in phrase 5 a bit when playing it around the kit. Oh well. =(
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 am

AWESOME! Really good stuff Steve. Love these lessons and the transcriptions are very appreciated. If that's your Dunnett snare it sounds better to me for some reason. Maybe it's usually muffled and now it's not? Anyway, it sounds good.

The Altered? d&b fusion outro was cool too.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks Steve! Great as always. This reminds me of Mitch Mitchell's 32nd note phrasing with Hendrix as well as some stuff that a guy at work who studied with Tommy Campbell showed me, using 'Syncopation'. Hitting the shed.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Makes me want to go practice! The Ti is sounding good, too. Thanks!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 pm

I know Vinnie didn't invent 32nd notes (although I think this requires some historical research), but this is like the first step to a Vinnie primer.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Yeah once I got into this, I started recognizing when other cats like Vinnie would turn this on. It's pretty effective, good workout for the hands at faster tempos too.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Yeah once I got into this, I started recognizing when other cats like Vinnie would turn this on. It's pretty effective, good workout for the hands at faster tempos too.

I like the over-the-pulse phrasings you chose. I guess this is why I thought of Vinnie. He uses them out of context all the time. Part of his hipness. They sound "out there," but they resolve on 1. You could pry those fills into a lot of situations without totally offending the powers that be.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:About 3:41 into this:
http://www.houseofdrumming.com/pasqua/P ... aiuta7.mp3

Oh yeah, I remember this clip! As he gets into it he changes gears (modulates) using the same fill. That was always a wicked element to his version of that fill. It's like four-wheel-on-the-fly.

EDIT: Ironically, I've always felt this was not one of VInnie's brightest moments, because he kind of crapped all over the music (drumtastic stuff aside).

Return to “Drumming Chat”