Best Bags & Cases

DSOP

Re: Best Bags & Cases

Postby DSOP » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Also got a recomendation on Beato bags. Any experience with those.

I have a Beato for one of my snares. It's a great bag, but I still prefer the Protection Racket bags.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:2 rides, 2 hats... no crashes?! crazy.

Was this intended at me? If so you missed that I also wrote that I have 3 crashes.

No stores carry hard cases anymore in my area. They take me for an Alien when I ask for a hard tom or cymbal case: "Nobody uses that. Check those Protection Racket bags out!"

Somebody has yet to prove me that you can safely throw a soft case down the stairs and get your snare intact.

Hard cases don't necessarily take much space since you can "russian puppet" them.

I must say that the handle of my 20 year old H&B bass case took off once; repaired it. And also that over those 20 years there's been 7 years straight of daily/weekly use and abuse. Rest of the time was ~once a month. I sold my Yam MCs recently in quasi-mint state after owning them for 17 years.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:Somebody has yet to prove me that you can safely throw a soft case down the stairs and get your snare intact.

Hard cases don't necessarily take much space since you can "russian puppet" them.

Hard cases are great, and protect way better than soft ones. BUT, if you're carrying your stuff yourself, the soft bags are fine (and have a super soft lining). The main reason I don't use hard cases anymore is that they would wreck my car just from bumping into it, sort of like a "door ding" all over the place.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:
YamahaPlayer wrote:2 rides, 2 hats... no crashes?! crazy.

I was being sarcastic...

Hard cases are great, it's the flight cases that are just a waste. I use both hard and soft cases, but as said, if I'm carrying my own gear in, I go with the soft cases. Just easier, lighter and less trips all around.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 pm

All the guys that I know that do "light" touring (vans, planes occasionally, one tech tours, and busses) do this. You have good bags for all of your drums, that serves local gigs. Then you have the hard "plastic cannister" cases (Protechtor or something of the sort) for potential high impact (out of your control) cartage and storage situations. You just put the bags inside the plastic case, and voila (padding + a hard shell.)

Wait till Sting calls to invest in the ATA trunks that hold a whole set (HA!) And then have the mgmt pick up the rush charge on the custom built cases (double HA!)

But you know, VERY few guys (!!!!) take sets on planes anymore. Those (good ol' days) days of wheeling your set through an airport sort of stopped with 9-11. Can you say "Drums Du Jour?"

So (good) soft bags for local gigs, and put the soft cases inside a hard shell for "almost" everything else, then you are covered both ways FOREVER.

It's really sensible when you think about it!

Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:29 am

nomsgmusic wrote:But you know, VERY few guys (!!!!) take sets on planes anymore. Those (good ol' days) days of wheeling your set through an airport sort of stopped with 9-11. Can you say "Drums Du Jour?"

So (good) soft bags for local gigs, and put the soft cases inside a hard shell for "almost" everything else, then you are covered both ways FOREVER.

This is true, I think any time I've flied for a date the kit was back lined by a local company/store of some kind.

That and the baggage fee for taking a set of drums on a plane must be just astronomical. I've brought a snare and a few cymbals as carry on before without issue (post 9/11).
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 am

Soft cases + hardcases when need sounds like a good idea.

Return to “Drumming Chat”