Me playing songs...and a sad story

Tombo 7/4

Me playing songs...and a sad story

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am

It’s been a long time since I posted some of my playing. A few years ago I recorded an album with a french singer.
I was called in the studio at the last minute because the regular drummer had accepted a tour in Asia and left.
I showed up at the studio with my gear having no idea of the music we'd play.
The only guy I knew was the keyboard player who had recommended me.
Kit setup, miking and sound check. Obviously no charts and 9 songs to record and mix with one week of studio time.

The process was the singer and guitarist playing a song for me while I took notes.
Then we played the song all together in different booths but could see each other, until they liked the tracks. Some were first takes, some took longer.
Bass, drums and rhythm guit, were kept as is, all analog recording. He aimed for a live/vintage vibe.
Not all songs were arranged and we came up with cool things on the spot that were kept. Some tunes were to click, some not. It was straight ahead rock so I kept things simple.

The singer had lots of soul and energy. Also had a tough life, his wife died and he was left with two kids. A real good guy, he inspired us, and was open to suggestions.
Really fun spontaneous sessions. I spent 2-3 days there and moved on. A song had local airplay and then I didn’t hear of anything.

I had to do a musical CV and thought about including some of the tracks I did on the record. But I couldn’t find the coordinates or info on the singer.
So I called the studio to ask for mixes. I was shocked to learn that the singer had died in a car accident. In his thirties. RIP.
There was a couple and 4 kids in the car. A blended family with his two kids and his spouse’s two kids. Only the woman and the singer’s kids survived.
I can’t imagine how tough it is to have your children die and living with the children of your boyfriend who previously lost their mother and now their father.
Absolute cruel destiny for those families.

Those songs were not heard much and I think « up there » he wouldn’t mind a bit of play.

So here are a few tunes. Comments on anything are welcome.
https://soundcloud.com/tombo74

HOD tough crowd, ready...GO!! ;)
Last edited by Tombo 7/4 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnDrum

Re: Me playing songs...and a sad story

Postby JohnDrum » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:26 pm

That is so sad, so very sad.I can't begin to imagine what she must be going through.

Nice job on the tracks.
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Problem #1: It's not in English :mrgreen:

Kidding!

Definitely a Queen influence sprinkled on top of the tunes here and there, no? That guy has a great voice! Seems like there's a lot of effects on the drums- but you sound great mate!

Cheers!

(the story is a downer too- sorry to hear about the loss)
Got Blushda?
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks guys.

In French, probably unlistenable for many. But hey a chorus is actually “Sweet California” ...huh
Yeah, tons of verb. Since when do drummers have a say on final mix?!

I also came back to overdub percussions. Like shaker and tambourine on backbeats or shaked.
As easy as it may seem, shaking a tambourine in 16ths is tricky. I learned the right way from a percussionist. To play even 16ths in time you can’t use your wrist.
Arm and wrist have to be straight and the shake comes from moving the elbow left to right with accents from the shoulder, keeping the arms at equal distance and hitting the left hand at the same place.
It even requires stamina to do it for a few minutes.

I thought someone would notice that the upbeat accent at 3:07 of tune 2 is way off, everybody is off.
The singer wanted that effect so he didn’t have to rush his lyrics, questionable. The tune was on click so you hear me catching up on the next beats.

Implying a fat pocket laid back feel on click is the hardest thing.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:Thanks guys.

In French, probably unlistenable for many. But hey a chorus is actually “Sweet California” ...huh
Yeah, tons of verb. Since when do drummers have a say on final mix?!

I also came back to overdub percussions. Like shaker and tambourine on backbeats or shaked.
As easy as it may seem, shaking a tambourine in 16ths is tricky. I learned the right way from a percussionist. To play even 16ths in time you can’t use your wrist.
Arm and wrist have to be straight and the shake comes from moving the elbow left to right with accents from the shoulder, keeping the arms at equal distance and hitting the left hand at the same place.
It even requires stamina to do it for a few minutes.

I thought someone would notice that the upbeat accent at 3:07 of tune 2 is way off, everybody is off.
The singer wanted that effect so he didn’t have to rush his lyrics, questionable. The tune was on click so you hear me catching up on the next beats.

Implying a fat pocket laid back feel on click is the hardest thing.
Of course I checked the second tune out. And there seems to be nothing wrong at all with it, as the whole band is in on it, and it was planned. Sounds great!
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 am

Tombo.. Always nice to hear you play ... Very good job on these tracks!!

PS: Are you still 100% into polishing your guitarist's edge or are you back into shedding on the drums again??
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:11 am

Solid! Nice...
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Tim, Beat, Julian, thank you!

beat hit wrote:PS: Are you still 100% into polishing your guitarist's edge or are you back into shedding on the drums again??

Watch this and tell me if my guitar playing needs polish...

http://s447.photobucket.com/user/tombo74/library/OMG

I wonder why I have the balls to post this on a drum forum instead of a guitar forum... :?
Laugh while you still can, it won't be up very long... :oops:

Return to “Drumming Chat”