Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Paul Marangoni

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Indu

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:49 pm

You're probably too young to understand just how right he is.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Gene Simmons is pretty full of crap, mainly because... He goes on and on pretending the music of KISS is some high work of intellectual property. It ain't...KISS were the biggest sell outs of the 70's for sure... And I'm sure they're still selling out to whatever they can, i.e. KISS credit cards and merch...whatever. I'm not exactly sure what his rhetoric is exactly all about, but he sure seems like an authority about whatever he's talking about, which is nothing. :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Dude, whether you care for Kiss or Gene or not, he speaks the truth. And although I have never cared for anything Kiss or Gene put out musically, he has hit the nail on the head here. Your comments however are out of line, wrong, and add nothing to the subject at hand.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Well, IMO, the subject at hand is soapboxing, because Gene Simmons really has nothing to say...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Gene has nothing to say?

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Well anything from Huffington Post must be true. lol
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Kiss' longevity is a testament to their vision and passion (which transcends mere dollars and cents). I spoke with someone the other day who hadn't heard of Jeff Buckley...sent them a link to Grace and they replied with a youtube list of 'current singer songwriters' (Ben Howard?, Ben Nichols? etc etc).

When you grow up listening to Peter Gabriel...(shakes head). Chaim of course is right here...and the problems go way beyond the music.

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:16 am

Hope it's not a repost...

"I feel like the way people are listening to music is going through this big transition. I feel like as musicians we need to fight the Spotify thing. I feel that in some ways what’s happening in the mainstream is the last gasp of the old industry. Once that does finally die, which it will, something else will happen. But it’s all about how we change the way we listen to music, it’s all about what happens next in terms of technology, in terms of how people talk to each other about music, and a lot of it could be really fucking bad. I don’t subscribe to the whole thing that a lot of people do within the music industry that’s ‘well this is all we’ve got left. we’ll just have to do this.’ I just don’t agree.

When we did the In Rainbows thing what was most exciting was the idea you could have a direct connection between you as a musician and your audience. You cut all of it out, it’s just that and that. And then all these fuckers get in a way, like Spotify suddenly trying to become the gatekeepers to the whole process. We don’t need you to do it. No artists needs you to do it. We can build the shit ourselves, so fuck off. But because they’re using old music, because they’re using the majors… the majors are all over it because they see a way of re-selling all their old stuff for free, make a fortune, and not die. That’s why to me, Spotify the whole thing, is such a massive battle, because it’s about the future of all music. It’s about whether we believe there’s a future in music, same with the film industry, same with books.

To me this isn’t the mainstream, this is is like the last fart, the last desperate fart of a dying corpse. What happens next is the important part."

Thom Yorke

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/10/thom-yorke-spotify-is-the-last-desperate-fart-of-a-dying-corpse/

http://www.sopitas.com/site/253083-entrevista-con-thom-yorke-de-atoms-for-peace/ (in Spanish)
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:21 am

Not trying to put too fine a point on things, but a corpse is already dead. And if a corpse could fart, I doubt it would be desperate :)
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:04 am

Speaking of Thom Yorke...he has just released a new solo album via a new version of BitTorrent >>>

34,900 people have downloaded Thom Yorke's new solo album in the first two hours of its release.

'Tomorrow's Modern Boxes' came out via BitTorrent earlier today (September 26) and is Yorke's first solo album since 'The Eraser' in 2006.

The album is described as an "experiment" by Yorke, who announced its release in a press statement co-authored with producer Nigel Godrich.

The BitTorrent Bundle features 8 tracks and a music video and can be purchased on vinyl or downloaded as a BitTorrent bundle. The first track from the album, 'A Brain In A Bottle' can be heard here. The download costs BitTorrent users £3.68 for the 8-track album.

The tracklisting is:

'A Brain In A Bottle'
'Guess Again!'
'Interference'
'The Mother Lode'
'Truth Ray'
'There Is No Ice (For my Drink)'
'Pink Section'
'Nose Grows Some'

The press release reads:

"As an experiment we are using a new version of BitTorrent to distribute a new Thom Yorke record. The new Torrent files have a pay gate to access a bundle of files. The files can be anything, but in this case is an 'album'. It’s an experiment to see if the mechanics of the system are something that the general public can get its head around."

"If it works well it could be an effective way of handing some control of internet commerce back to people who are creating the work."

"Enabling those people who make either music, video or any other kind of digital content to sell it themselves."

"Bypassing the self elected gate-keepers. If it works anyone can do this exactly as we have done."

"The torrent mechanism does not require any server uploading or hosting costs or ‘cloud’ malarkey. It's a self-contained embeddable shop front. The network not only carries the traffic, it also hosts the file. The file is in the network."

Thom Yorke has been teasing fans with bits of information about forthcoming work. On Wednesday, he posted an image of the lyrics to Radiohead track 'A Wolf At The Door' with some new lines added.

On Monday, he linked to an image of a white vinyl 12-inch record playing on a turntable, which led fans to speculate that there could be new music coming soon.

Source:
http://www.nme.com/news/thom-yorke/8001 ... ewjtFh9.99

Return to “Drumming Chat”