Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

electrizer

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Indu

Postby electrizer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 pm

DeeP_FRieD wrote:OK, so I will ask this again.

Where does Google infringe on copyright, other than offering a service some user chooses to do so upon?

Show me where they directly uploaded and shared content that was copyrighted.

This is a very simple question, please answer it directly and do not fly off on a tangent again.

I'm not an authority on intellectual property law but IMO all this kind of talk is about technicalities which abuse a fundametally flawed law. I don't think Google has ever done that (but who's to tell?) but 1) they provide very popular platforms which facilitate copyright infringement and 2) it doesn't seem like they're doing enough to stop that.

Nowadays, it all seems about ping-ponging the responsibility from the internet provider, to the website host, to the uploader, and back to the downloader, and no one really proposes a way out of this circle.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:Where does Google infringe on copyright, other than offering a service some user chooses to do so upon?

Show me where they directly uploaded and shared content that was copyrighted.

This is a very simple question, please answer it directly and do not fly off on a tangent again.

Google scanned and made available thousands of in-copyright books without permission. http://books.google.com/

Is your book on there? Well then it's up to you to have it removed if you don't want it there. Nice eh?

YouTube - owned by Google - 99.000% content that is there illegally. Did Sergey Brin upload this content himself? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter. It's on their servers. They own those servers. They serve the content from those servers. The content is not theirs to serve. Guilty by association. Harboring illegal activities. Profiting from illegal activities. Possession of stolen goods.

I'm really amazed at your insistence to defend this horrible company. Do you make a living off of Google or own their stock? It really baffles me.

Google just does what it wants to, and then gets their lawyers to drag things out for years, and then just pays millions or billions in fines. Business as usual.
Last edited by Paul Marangoni on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:27 am

electrizer wrote: all this kind of talk is about technicalities which abuse a fundametally flawed law.

What is flawed about it? It is very simple. If you create something, it is yours to do whatever you wish with, and to profit from. No one else can profit from it without your consent.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
electrizer wrote: all this kind of talk is about technicalities which abuse a fundametally flawed law.

What is flawed about it? It is very simple. If you create something, it is yours to do whatever you wish with, and to profit from. No one else can profit from it without your consent.

And I agree with that. What I'm talking about is how difficult it is for a copyright owner to actually meaningfully protect his property in the long term.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Let's just give a double bird to iTunes for their radio station in the US that pays squat. I guess they figured out a better way to stiff the artists. They suck.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:15 pm

If you like making music, you should understand that you wont make any money.

JIMO.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 pm

langmick wrote:If you like making music, you should understand that you wont make any money.

JIMO.

I have accepted that (for moi), but I don't accept that a bunch of pricks are going to make money off of stuff they have no right to.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 pm

electrizer wrote:What I'm talking about is how difficult it is for a copyright owner to actually meaningfully protect his property in the long term.

Yes, that has always been difficult, but in the last decade it's been taken to the extreme.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 pm

It's kind of crazy how the piracy thing went from Metallica suing Napster to the biggest most successful corporations in the world ripping off everyone at both ends of the online distribution model in under 15 years.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Haven't read any of this thread...not really my kind of thing, but it just happens that megalomaniac corporations just happen to be right. And they are not deluded by it... Like Time Warner and Comcast merging recently. The electronic nature of manipulating massive quantities of currency(the American dollar or otherwise) has just reinforced the concept of MEGA-corporations... More political lobbying power that way and lots of other benefits as well(government bailouts being another) They really do become TOO big to fail and are not deluded in being megalomania-cal in nature..... :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”