New Gary Chaffee Book

Paul Marangoni

Re: New Gary Chaffee Book

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 am

Chaffee's method is a bit more than that. It really changes your approach.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:Chaffee's method is a bit more than that. It really changes your approach.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm just saying that with some guys very little goes a long way.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 am

True. Plus, you need to be careful with Chaffee's stuff. It's easy to get carried away and apply it on gigs when it isn't appropriate. I was most definitely guilty of that.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 am

Though I sometimes find his stuff to be on the obssessive / compulsive side of things, he has interesting ideas. Done and done. Thanks for the heads up.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:Chaffee's method is a bit more than that. It really changes your approach.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm just saying that with some guys very little goes a long way.

I was fortunate to have gotten one lesson from Gary. 20 minutes and, yeah, life changing. He said books were great but imagination can be a lot more powerful when learning to improvise. He stressed taking a measure or two of rhythm from any source (best, write out a random pattern of 8th notes and rests yourself) and "exhaust the possibilities." He stressed trying to come up with as many different ways to approach that rhythm using all 4 limbs on the drumset and to play them musically. Apply various stickings, accents, dynamics, tempo; play between the written notes, forwards-backwards-inside out...create a technical study out of it applying finger control, Moeller etc. It's almost comical, when his series came out I saw all the stuff he was telling me in that 20 minute lesson spelled out in detail.
leedaviesdrums

Postby leedaviesdrums » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Just this second ordered this on amazon.

Return to “Drumming Chat”