new Satriani cd

Rodge

Re: new Satriani cd

Postby Rodge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm

bstocky wrote:
Frank Sanchez wrote:I've never understood this, except that I do understand that Satriani needs a name to move his product. That said, when you have a guy like Vinnie playing, why subject us to tunes that ANY DRUMMER WHO FREQUENTS HOD could play? Feature the guy, especially if you want us to shell out money! That tune was a YAWN fest from beginning to end. As my kids say: EPIC FAIL!

Uh, I'm going to disagree. Laying down a "simple" rock groove with authority isn't so simple.
You pay the big boys to get it right in one take and then move on to the next song.

I agree with you bstoky.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon May 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Drops tomorrow. Streaming for free all day today only.

http://entimg.s-msn.com/i/asx/audio_str ... mentum.asx
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Tue May 07, 2013 6:17 am

Vinnie gets to cuts loose during the ending of the first tune
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 am

I was looking forward to this as I like Satriani's eponymous CD (admittedly none of the rest of them) - but there's so few rough edges... It's all in the middle of the graph - it rarely rocks THAT hard, or gets THAT funky / bluesy. There's also not that much space, sonically - much of it is thickly textured in the same way.

But as Randy says, some nice stuff in track one (Unstoppable Momentum) - and Lies and Truths and Jumpin' In have their moments. And of course it's all impeccably performed, great drumming. But makes me want to re-listen to Warren Cuccurollo's Thanks to Frank album which has so much more vitality to it.
____
Ned
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue May 07, 2013 8:51 am

Musically even worse than I feared, but this CD I will get for the drumming alone, just because it's a realistic beginning for me in starting to transcribe my drumming hero in a clear and simple setting a step up from the Songs and Visions show.
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Tue May 07, 2013 1:48 pm

thewikiman wrote:I was looking forward to this as I like Satriani's eponymous CD (admittedly none of the rest of them) - but there's so few rough edges... It's all in the middle of the graph - it rarely rocks THAT hard, or gets THAT funky / bluesy. There's also not that much space, sonically - much of it is thickly textured in the same way.

I know what you mean -- I've seen him in person, and the show was fine, but only. We do play a couple of his songs. Easy drumming songs of course, but still kind of fun and the crowd enjoys them.

He's not my favorite guitar player out there, but not at all the least favorite.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 am

bigbone

Postby bigbone » Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 am

Randy Walker wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uKEYwTXXVS4

Funny how he name every musician who play on the CD on that video, but not Vinny, Who he call
"the best drummer in the world "........
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Wed May 08, 2013 7:33 am

yea i found that very interesting, wonder if he just forgot during sentence
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 am

I received this CD from Amazon yesterday.

I love pre-ordering and receiving on the release date!

I have been *trying* to listen to music while laying in bed before sleep to really focus on the music. Problem...I am not sure if I ever get past the second tune! It doesn't matter what kind of music, but I fail every time by falling asleep pretty quickly...funny stuff. I think a hard-edged passage in a Porcupine Tree tune woke me up once.

I was listening with headphones and I really like the "real drum sound" on this album...at least the first tune-and-a-half I think I got thru.

Looking forward to cranking on the stereo when my mind doesn't go off into my parallel universe.

I like hearing Vinnie C play for the song and not just going "all Vinnie" all over the record. (He does have that spot at the end of the first tune with some choppage and metric modulation moments)

Enjoy...
Rob

Return to “Drumming Chat”