new Satriani cd

Randy Walker

new Satriani cd

Postby Randy Walker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 am

Vinnie is on the new Satriani record coming out next month, I'm sure its been posted already. but here's footage of those sessions

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... CC35-5UcBw
Joe Nocella

Re: new Satriani cd

Postby Joe Nocella » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:49 am

That tune did nothing for me. What was interesting was the Vic Firth sticks that Vince is playing at 2:07.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

It's a PITA to get a decent grab using Grab.

satriani_grab.jpg
satriani_grab.jpg (251.23 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 pm

I dug it. Makes me want to play actually!

Cymbals sound great.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Sounds cool.. I do wish the drums were a bit louder and less washy though... Typical for a Satriani album though...
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Honestly, I'll always be grateful for the things Ive learned from Vinnie and his technique but honestly there's a lot of other drummers out there that do a lot more for me...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 pm

The tune is pretty bland. Not a fan of his music. Wanna hear what vinne did on the album. You don't hire the guy and have him play straight forward shit. You wanna hear him play some interesting stuff. I'm sure there are a few vinnie treats in some tunes. Marco is gonna tour to support the album. Marco would have been a good choice to play on the record.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm

I saw Satriani live a long time ago. I think it may have been Marco on drums, but can't really remember. Regardless, it seemed as though Satriani hand-cuffed the drummer. His music isn't really about taking chances or improvisation, rather it's sort of an AOR sound without vocals and a lot of "weedlie-weedlie" guitar wankery over two or three chords. Anthemic instrumental rock. Stadium fusion.

He's come a long way from the guy who financed his whole recording on credit cards back in the day. Quite a success story really.
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 pm

I've never understood this, except that I do understand that Satriani needs a name to move his product. That said, when you have a guy like Vinnie playing, why subject us to tunes that ANY DRUMMER WHO FREQUENTS HOD could play? Feature the guy, especially if you want us to shell out money! That tune was a YAWN fest from beginning to end. As my kids say: EPIC FAIL!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Frank Sanchez wrote:I've never understood this, except that I do understand that Satriani needs a name to move his product. That said, when you have a guy like Vinnie playing, why subject us to tunes that ANY DRUMMER WHO FREQUENTS HOD could play? Feature the guy, especially if you want us to shell out money! That tune was a YAWN fest from beginning to end. As my kids say: EPIC FAIL!

¿?¿? How could know how the rest of the album is based on that little clip?
BTW, Satriani was always a shredder; what do you guys want? He´s not gonna record a Return to Forever album...

Return to “Drumming Chat”