Daft Punk streaming at itunes

langmick

Daft Punk streaming at itunes

Postby langmick » Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am

All live drums.

JR is on the album, and Omar.

Funk 4/4 grooves, but it's great to hear live drums being used again by high profile groups.

Although, JRs time is insanely great, if it's not massaged. Not many fills or creative bits that I've heard so far. Sounds like 1979.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/random-access-memories/id617154241
electrizer

Re: Daft Punk streaming at itunes

Postby electrizer » Wed May 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Been a DP fan for ages. Will wait for the album though - hate iTunes and I want it dead. Only 5 days left...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Listened to the album album today via iTunes. Took a nap while listening. Missed a few tunes but liked the music. I'm a fan.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed May 15, 2013 4:09 pm

There is some drum stuff on it, you can tell when ots Omar and when its JR.

Music is interesting too, cool vibes.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 am

I've really enjoyed much of Daft Punk's previous stuff and I also love everything Chilly Gonzales puts out.
Here he is, talking about working with them on the new album (which I also really like!) :

PS: I would have loved to hear a guy like Dave Dicenso do the hihat improv things on 'Giorgi by Moroder'. Is that Omar? Sounds a little sloppy and/or un-imaginative to me.

bored at work

Postby bored at work » Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 am

Morgenthaler wrote:I've really enjoyed much of Daft Punk's previous stuff and I also love everything Chilly Gonzales puts out.
Here he is, talking about working with them on the new album (which I also really like!) :

PS: I would have loved to hear a guy like Dave Dicenso do the hihat improv things on 'Giorgi by Moroder'. Is that Omar? Sounds a little sloppy and/or un-imaginative to me.

Really? I think he sounds great on it. Lovely groove and some really nice fills. I love this album and it sounds really good too. Never thought I'd buy a Daft Punk album, it could be my record of the year!
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Wed May 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:PS: I would have loved to hear a guy like Dave Dicenso do the hihat improv things on 'Giorgi by Moroder'. Is that Omar? Sounds a little sloppy and/or un-imaginative to me.

I don't think you could do better, you should listen and learn how they do it instead
of bitching about it.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed May 22, 2013 8:32 pm

bigbone wrote:
I don't think you could do better, you should listen and learn how they do it instead
of bitching about it.

Leaving your pointless remark behind, what I find un-imaginative is basically the same hihat lick being played 6 times (6:26, 6:30, 6:34, 6:41, 6:45, 6:49) and then the section from 6:56 to 7:30, which, now that you mention it, reminds me of how I played - when I was 17. It (to me) is not driving the music, it's just playing along.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am

I just got it today.

JRs cymbals sound incredible. That groove is as solid as anything I've ever heard. Holy shit.

You know how the electronic guys don't quite know drums, as we would play it, I think that's what Omar was going for.

Sounded great to me, electronic music is quite repetitive, that's one of the classic trademarks. Repetition brings tension.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm

I picked up the album a few days ago. It's really good. I am staring to like electronica music more these days. This is not your run of the mill electronica album. It's funky and has some soul. Musicians performing music makes a big difference. All the grooves and sounds are solid! Well done. There are like 3 tunes I skip cause they are annoying. Get Lucky is a fun tune. Great drum groove with the right amount of spice on the hi hat. Never heard heard of Daft Punk until someone posted this topic last week. Thanks HOD people's.

Return to “Drumming Chat”